Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of Epsom Salts in already salty alkaline soil

Posted by tweedbunny 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 5:52

I've read in books that Epsom salts are good to supplement lawns and gardens.
Does anyone know if these are okay to apply to already salty alkaline soils like in the desert southwest?
Seems to me that if the soil is already salty (like in my location), I'd be doing more harm by adding salt.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of Epsom Salts in already salty alkaline soil

I may be mistaken, but I think the salt in Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It adds magnesium and sulfur and has a slight acidifying effect (but not as much as soil sulfur has).

If your soil already has enough Mg in it, the additional Mg could impact the salinity, but I think the salinity in our soils comes more from other sources.

o

bpgreen is correct. Epsom salts should not be confused with the salt we think of as "table salt". Epsom salts are great! I mix Epsom salt at a ration of 1/2 Tablespoon per gallon with all my fertilizers.

Ryan in Orem

o

Thank you both very much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here