Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimh6278

How clod did it get ....

jimh6278
17 years ago

last nite. Here in Salt Lake it got to +3.

Comments (11)

• woco
    17 years ago

To darn cold. I know that. Cedar City -19

• pawsitive_gw
    17 years ago

-10* Sunday morning, -5* this morning. We are in Parowan, north of Cedar, up against the hills, sorta. Moderates our temps a bit.

• LorifromUtah
    17 years ago

Minus 25 in Randolph; 33 below in Afton, Wyoming (which is where I was.)

And yes, we have block heaters on our vehicles.

Lori

• stevation
    17 years ago

It was -1 at the Pleasant Grove weather station, which is the closest one to me. It's already 0 right now on Monday night. Was pretty darn cold driving to church Sunday morning, and my car said it was 5, but it often reads about 5 degrees too high.

I moved here from California almost six years ago. I think this is the coldest week we've had since I've lived here. And that CAN'T be the same sun we used to have in California -- you can't even feel anything when it's shining on you! :-(

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

It was one degree the last 2 nights... last night it warmed up to a balmy 3 degrees before zero. BRRRRRRRR!

I can't wait til winter ends!

I think winter(Snowy and cold... but not too cold) should only be from a few weeks before Christmas to just after New Years.
    I think that is enough time for the bulbs in the ground to get cold.
    The rest of the time should be nice and warm.
    Guess I should move to Hawaii if I really feel that way and come visit UT for the month of Dec.
    Guess I am just tired of being so cold!
    I am sitting at my computer, looking out at my backyard, dreaming of getting out there planting and growing... while my toes are so cold, they are numb!

Good news.... Spring and summer will eventually arrive... then we will be asking how hot it got and what we did to protect our plants from the sweltering heat!
    Lamenting about our kids slip n' slides making depressions in the water logged grass! LOL

• dereks
    17 years ago

The coldest my thermometer has read is -1. Songbirdmommy, I can't wait until winter ends either.

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

Good news.... looks like the temps are slowly but surely rising!
    Just in the nick of time too.....
    I HAVE CABIN FEVER!

Am I the only one that looks out at the backyard and dreams to get their hands in the dirt????
    I drive by the garden centers... looking, hoping to see some type of movement.... I do not care what it is... just want a sign that there is a glimmer of Spring around the corner.
    I think I am going to squeal with glee at the sight of the first flat of pansies I see...
    Dang, I got it bad!
    I have already graphed out what I am going to do in the yard this year, where I am going to plant each little veggie and annual!
    I already put on Craigslist that I have free landscaping plants, all they need to do is wait for the weather to warm and come dig them out themselves.
    And I already have takers!
    I know which plants are outta here come Spring, and what I am going to put in it's place.

Please tell me I am not alone in the yearning to "get out there" and play in the dirt, all the wonderful work that it entails.
    I have a savings account that is solely dedicated to my Spring and summer shopping sprees at the local nurseries... trying to figure out creative ways to add to that account so I can add more to the garden!

• jimh6278
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are not alone.

ThatÂs one of the reasons I start my own vegetable plants. It gives me something to look forward to in the dead of winter. First the tomatoes and onions (also Trumpet vine from seed pods I scrounged up). Then peppers and cabbage plants.

Before any of it starts I plot the garden and plan the varieties and starting dates based on previous years records. including the sequence of plantings for mid-summer. I start working the catalogs and seed suppliers in late November because they usually offer free shipping if the orders are placed before December 15. It is not totally satisfying but it keeps my mind on the garden.

• dereks
    17 years ago

Have you looked at the winter sowing forum? If you haven't check it out. It will give you something to do during these long drawn out winter months.

I started these castor bean plants by winter sowing. Actually, these were started in March, but I think you get the idea. I have a ton of beans left if any of you are interested. Just keep in mind the bean and plants are very poisonous.

I'm also anxious to get out into the yard.

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

Wow Derek!
    Great picture!

I have a marvelous greenthumb with just about anything OUTSIDE the house....
    But I am the kiss of death , the proverbial black thumb to anything that is grown indoors.
    I tried one year to start from seeds, I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to, went so far as to buy special growing lights and hang them from the ceiling... I spent so much time and money.... NOTHING grew....
    I hope to figure out what I did wrong that year, and the first year I was married I went out and bought around $100 in pothos to grow around our first apartment...
    Pothos, they are "un-killable", but mine all died!
    My Mom had a ton of them, they all looked great, she couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong... she gave me some of hers, thinking that it was the plants and where I had bought them from.... nope, it was me....
    those started dying too....

Now this year, I decided in the fall I was going to bring my beautiful Rosemary inside.....
    It is REALLY struggling!

I was on the herb forum and asked what I can do to help the poor gal out....
    No answer.

Anyone know what might be her problem(other than my black thumb)?
    She is growing REALLY spindling new growth and some of the leaves on the old growth are starting to turn black.

She is in the warmest, sunny window in the house... lucky gal lives in my Jacuzzi bathtub in a bay window that has the sun all afternoon.
    She has no right to look spindly, she gets fed, watered and sun.
    Other rosemary growers on the herb forum were talking about how their rosemary plants inside are blooming...
    not this girl.

Maybe she is like my girl rabbit who is in a bad mood cause I won't let her out to play with the outside rabbit and the cat... except Rosemary does not know that her friend mr. tomato plant bit the dust after the first hard freeze. :-)

as far as Castor beans, can't have them or any dangerous plant in the yard, have to many kids and animals that pop things in their mouths at any given time. Learned the hard way when babysitting my nephews years ago, and they ate some bright red berries from the backyard. One had a few in his hand and when I saw them, I recognized that they were very poisonous, made them spit em out... but they had already swallowed some.... So I called their mom and we met at the ER, gave the doctor the berries and he said that they both needed their stomachs pumped. I decided right them and there that when I grew up and had kids, I would have a yard free of poisonous plants. Now we just bought this house and soooo many plants here need to go! I have nearly a thousand feet of virginia creeper that needs to go..... Anyone have a clue as to the best time of year and best way to get rid of it? Wish it was not poisonous, it looks so nice along the fenceline. This is actually a new subject, so I am going to post it with a new heading and keep this about the cold.
  • dereks
    17 years ago

Songbird, you say you have a green thumb for anything outside. Well, winter sowing is done outside. This cold weather we are having is perfect for winter sowing. I encourage you to check out the winter sowing forum. This method will save tons of money on plants.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks