Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
songbirdmommy

Any Master Gardeners?

songbirdmommy
17 years ago

I am enrolled in the Master Gardener program through USU Extention, and I was wondering if anyone has done the Master Gardener's program, either here in UT or elsewhere.

What kind of service projects were you involved in? What was your favorite part?

I am so excited to build on the base of knowledge that I am continuly learning and to be able to give volunteer hours to gardening projects outside my own yard.

I dream bigger than my yard will allow... LOL

I think I would do good with about 100 acres, with all the projects and plans I have!

Would love to hear what others thought of the programs.

Comments (13)

• stevation
    17 years ago

Hey Songbird,

I'd like to go through the program sometime. Can you post some info on how to sign up, what time commitments are needed, what time of year the program starts, where classes are held, and what it costs? Thanks!

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

When I signed up for the program last week, there was a huge line. Thankfully I was determined to get in and went down there at 5 am to stand in line. I was 5th in line, one lady, bless her heart, had been out in the freezing cold since 3:30am.
    The doors opened at 7 am, and by that time almost 30 people had shown up for the 8 am registration.
    Thirty is the space limit.

Early bird really does catch the worm when it comes to the sign ups.
    I heard while I was there that the Utah County's Extention office has one of the best programs in the state... they have a "Master Gardener's University" which is more intense than the regular master gardener's program.
    You may want to call to see if you could still get in.... I know it would totally be worth it....but don't get your hopes up about still being able to get in, but, you just might get lucky! Never know unless you try!

As far as time commitments. We have class once a week, every week for three hours. This runs from the first week in Feb to the last week in April, and then once a month for three hours during the summer(to give us time off to play in our own gardens) then in the Fall there is the County Fair and a social.

Volunteer hours are also expected. A minium of 40 during the training and summer, graduation is in November and the hours must be done before then.
    There are lots of fun opportunities for volunteering, variety of things to fit everyone's interest and talent.

Some of the subjects we will cover will include:
    Basic plant science, soils, fertilizers, irrigation, weeds, pesticides, insect control, plant diseases, landscaping, composting, turf grasses, trees and shrubs, fruit trees and small fruits,perrinials and annuals, veggies, propagations, volunteering, diagnosing, woody plants, roses, shrubs, herbs, vines, groundcovers.

The classes are taught by horticulture professors from Utah State University.
    The cost of the program varies from county to county, generally $100 dollars, but some counties are higher, probably to cover the cost of the professor's travel.

It is a wonderful program not only for the knowlegde, but also for the opportunity to give back to the community through service to community gardens and events.

I will keep posting what I have learned and how it is going on here.... if anyone is interested.

• stevation
    17 years ago

Yeah, just use this thread to keep us updated on how it goes. I'd like to hear about it. I'd like your honest opinions on how much you're learning and whether it's worth the time and expense.

I went to a "garden mini-expo" last spring at Thanksgiving Point, and it looked like many of the instructors were either new master gardeners or were in training to become such. Unfortunately, the classes were mostly at a beginner level and didn't give me as much benefit as I'd hoped. I'd be interested to learn how much new stuff you're learning as you go along.

- Steve

• gardengirl63
    17 years ago

I took the Master Gardener class almost 12 years ago.
    It was so much fun & I learned alot. I took the class in Weber County. Check out what your county offers, because I think they are different in some ways.

After you graduate,(in Weber county) we have an assosiation that plans fun & learning activities. This year we are doing a tool sharpening class, exotic plants class, composting, year round gardening, easter egg hunt, wild flower tour, home garden tour, and graduation dinner, fall bbq, and lots more.

Some countys do not do much after you take the class,
    We try in Weber county to keep learning & shareing with other Master Gardeners.

Dave Gibby ~ owner of Gibby Floral in Riverdale/Ogden is the man who came up with the Master Gardener program.
    Here is a link about it:
    http://extension.usu.edu/files/gardpubs/mastgar.htm

The class is great & you will meet lots of people who share in the passion of gardening. Lots of the plants in my yard came from my garden frieds & I like to share my plants & seeds too. It is a super group of people to be associated with.

If you have any ? let me know

• stevation
    17 years ago

Cool! I didn't know a Utahn started the whole concept. I heard about Master Gardeners when I lived in Sacramento, but I never found the time to take the course. Maybe I will next year.

I'd love to learn more about how to handle plant and tree problems, like chlorosis, diagnosing soil deficiencies, understanding how fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides work, natural ways to reduce pests, and a whole bunch of other things.

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am REALLY excited about my Master Gardener's class now!
    It starts one week from tomorrow!

GardenGirl63, are those currently in the Master Gardener's program invited to the home garden tour?
    I LOVE to see what others have done to their yards!
    I wouldn't mind showing off what I have done to my yard (once I can actually get out there & do something! LOL)

• bpgreen
    17 years ago

Just to make it easier for people, I'm making the link referenced above clickable.

If you want to do this, paste the link in the "Optional Link URL" field and give it a name in "Name of the link" field. There are ways to embed it in the message, but I'm going with the least common denominator.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for the story

• gardengirl63
    17 years ago

Songbirdmommy, Weber county does the home tour. You can ask when you start the class if your county has an association that does this. We have ours going on in June.
    We usually do 3 homes. We usually do some Master Gardeners yards and other people in the community willing to let us into their yards. I think they do invite the new Master Gardeners come come with us. For the Home Tours we usually just do them in our community. We do go outside the county for other things like last year we went to Young Living Herb Farm, Wild flower tour ( Utah county) Water Conservancy place ( I forgot the name ) and Gardeners Village.
    Let me know if you have any ?
    Have fun in class, you'll love it :)

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Last night was the first night of our Master Gardener's class....
    I am so excited!
    I have already learned some really kewl new stuff!

I have been fretting about what types of trees are here in the yard of this new house.
    Jerry, the instructor(who is hilarious!) said his first job out of school was for a nursery, to pass the job interview, he had to identify ALL the trees in the hursery... it was winter and most were decideous.
    He did it!
    Just by looking at the branches!
    So I am going to venture out in a while and do this...
    I will let ya'll know how I did :-)

He showed us how to see what the age of a branch is... that was really kewl.

The Master Gardeners club... (you can join after you finish the course) has tons of REALLY kewl activities all year long.
    They also have classes twice a month that we can sit in on (if we wanted to)on topics not covered in the class.
    I am SOOOO looking forward to being involved in the club!

I am sooo glad already to be involved in such a wonderful program!

13 counties here in Utah have a master gardener program, that means that all of you who are interested should be able to take this course next year if you really wanted to.... just make sure to arrive REALLY early for the sign up!

• gardengirl63
    17 years ago

songbirdmommy---What county are you taking the class in?
    Jerry G. was my teacher in Weber county.
    I am glad you are liking the class!!!!!

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi GardenGirl!
    Yes, Jerry is teaching the class in Weber, where I am taking it.
    I also went to the 4 seasons class on Thursday night that was very interesting.
    I was hoping to learn something more about winter sowing, as I still have not planted a thing, even though I FINALLY found some soil that was not frozen to buy.

I just might get up the nerve today to plant a dozen or so milk jugs I have been saving for weeks.
    I am SOOOO afraid of gardening failure... it is much easier to just buy plants from the nursery... 99% success with those!

And I really am enjoying the class.... and Jerry's humor!

I am looking forward to learning something new @ the composting class in a few weeks.

• gardengirl63
    17 years ago

songbirdmommy,

NO WAY--I was at Mark's four season gardening class too.

I will be going to the composting class as well. You will
    have to stand up & say "I am songbirdmommy" so I can meet you. This is exciting!!!!!!!

I am wanting to venture into some winter sowing too. I have a few whip topping containers I want to try. I usually start my seed in my little garden window. It faces east & I have had pretty good luck with it, but I want to try something new.I mostly do perennials, some herbs, and veggy's.

Have fun in your MG class & see you at composting :)

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been saving all my one gallon water and milk jugs for my winter sowing. The other day when it was so warm I went out on the back patio and cut them in half and added my potting soil.
    My seeds have yet to be sown though.....and now my big Costco bag of potting soil is sitting out there, probably frozen.... LOL

That is kewl that we both were at the same class.... now I am wondering who you are... just as I am sure you are wondering too who I am. LOL

I'll put a name tag on saying Songbird Mommy or something! LOL
    It'll be fun to meet! :-)

Sponsored