Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
songbirdmommy

guineas

songbirdmommy
17 years ago

I am getting anxious for Spring to arrive....

So I am starting to make plans.

One thing that I would like this year is to get a few guineas.

Many of you might be wondering what a guinea is.

They are kind of strange, yet pretty looking at the same time.

It is a type of fowl that is a WONDERFUL critter control.

I have found in the past with just a few guineas, my yard is pest free... no mosquitoes, no ants, no snakes, no ticks.

If you have a pesky ant colony, they will take care of the problem with no chemicals, and entertain you at the same time!

They are wonderful, and can be quite colorful also.

They can be trained like dogs to come when you call "buckwheat!" Sometimes they will call "Buckwheat" back to you!

I am planning on getting purple and coral blue varieties.

Here is the situation though....

Murray McMurray, who I order my chicks from, and who I will order the guineas from, will only ship the guineas in quantities of 30!

They come as day old babes(keats).

Would a few of you be interested in going in with me on this order?

Cost plus shipping would make them about $5.00 each.

Great price for all that they do.

One can of ant spray will cost you what one would be!

I am going to order them at the end of May, if anyone is interested, please let me know.

This will give you enough time to think about it, as you begin to swat at those blood sucking mosquitoes guineas are famous for eliminating... :-)

Comments (6)

• jimh6278
    17 years ago

I would love to help out but I live in the city and they fly and make a lot of noise. You forgot to mention that they serve as early warning for visitors. I am trying to figure out how to have a few banties in SLC without upsetting my neighbors.

• stevation
    17 years ago

I was just thinking about getting a chicken or two this year to eat grasshoppers. Maybe Guineas would be better?

The only problem is we have three cats. I suppose a grown chicken could fend them off (at least they did when I was growing up), but I don't know if I could raise a chick with the cats around. Would a grown Guinea be able to fend off a cat? Would a grown Guinea or chicken actually stick around or would it fly/run away looking for its old home?

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guineas are able to hold their own against cats.
    We have a tom cat that is best friends with the rabbits and chickens.
    Guineas roost in trees, now I will say this, they are not bright enough to get out of the trees when the snow and freezing rains come, and will fall out of the tree dead from exposure if you do not pick them up and put them in a coop(or even a dog house).
    Just like chickens that will free range in the yard, guineas will too if trained from keats where the yard is.
    They have been known to wander while chasing a critter, but will make their way back home.
    And if you call "Buckwheat" they know it is "home" calling and will come running.

One thing that I have experienced that is good about guineas, my chickens will strip a patch of yard bare if I let them, they would eat all the vegetation, but guineas primarily eat the bugs, so they leave the grass alone.
    They will however eat seedlings and young weeds, but leave the more mature stuff be.

If you are worried about the cat situation, I could keep your guineas here until mid July or Pioneer Day and give them a chance to get big enough to fend for themselves.
    They stick together, so I think three of them together would keep the cats at bay.
    Keeping them corraled til they get familiar with their new home is always a good idea.

SongBird

• stevation
    17 years ago

SongBird,

Well, my kids loved the idea of getting a guinea, but my wife did not. Bummer!

• down_and_dirty
    17 years ago

Songbirdmommy--I hope you get some takers on your guineas! Like Stevation, I am trying to work up the courage to go to my HOA and ask if I can get some chickens (they are against the covenants). We live right next to an orchard, so we have quail in our yard all the time. I haven't noticed them keeping down the snake population, though.

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Down and Dirty,
    I LOVE your garden!
    I can't believe all the plants you have listed are on a normal size lot... especially the roses....
    Would love to see more pics!
    My daughter was reading your quotes with me and loves the one that says "Frog parking... all others will be toad"
    I think she is going to tell her 2nd grade class that today.
    Wonder how many of them will get it.

You should tell your HOA that you found a great way to deal with the snake problem(I am sure you are not the only one with the problem), let them know what wonderful snake eaters guineas are.
    If they do not want to go for that, peacocks, the prettier(& more expensive) versions of guineas are also voracious snake eaters.
    I saw a friend's peacock in Toquerville, UT eat a coral snake whole!
    This friend owns several, and does not have a problem with snakes(Rattlers, corals and others snakes and scorpions once overran the place) or rodents.
    Maybe your HOA will consider having peacocks if you offer to care for them.
    Just an idea....

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor