Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It is almost time to start

Posted by jimh6278 7a ??? (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 12, 07 at 14:05

Its almost time to start my tomatoes. My start date is 1/27/07 for seeds with a projected transplanting date of April 14 in walls-o-water. Last year I got them transplanted on April 7 but I dont think it gained me anything. I am starting:

1. Orange Blossom from Johnnys. This is a great early medium sized tomato. We harvested in late June last yea and they produced all summer. Too tall for a commercial tomato cage I made special 2.5 cages from concrete reinforcing net. These are low acid tomatoes and can even be used for a great flavored and unusual froze orange sauce.

2. Brandywines from Johnnys favorite mid season also make great sauce

3. Gold Medal from Territorial- new variety this year wanted to try a substitute for Mr. Stripey

4. Pineapple from Territorial new variety this year - wanted to try a substitute for Mr. Stripey

5. Black Prince from Johnnys somewhat early and sweet. The blacks seem to stop producing when it gets hot

6. Golden Sweet from Johnnys for the trellis entrance to the garden. For nibbling. (I also plant malabar on trellis for appearance and nibbling)

All my tomatoes are of the low acid variety and the Brandywines and Orange Blossom are very meaty for sauces without the zing and acid of Romas. I start them in Park starters and transplant into 3" peat pots. They are fed lots of juice from the worm farm and develop a really dark healthy green color even under the lites. I use a heat mat for the entire time. I am also starting a flat of Ailsa Craig Onion seeds at the same time. The rest of my onions come as plants from Dixondale Farms in Texas. The reason I got into the plant starting business is because I cold not find a local garden shop/nursery that had a decent selection of different varieties. Once I set up the starting station in my storage room the rest was easy. And besides, it satisfies my desire to get gong when it is still winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It is almost time to start

• Posted by woco z6 UT (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 12, 07 at 16:42

You are really ambitious. I have ordered all of my seeds and plants but I usually do not do anything until April 1st. Maybe I will start my tomatoes earlier this year and hopefully get a better crop. I am just grateful that we got some snow in Cedar City. With the drought of the last few years, I always wait for the snow to see if we will have water for a garden.

Bill

o

Actually, a big part of my motivation is the acidity in the tomatoes. I find that most of the standards found in garden centers and nurseries are very high in acid and it doesnt agree with me old age. Once you set up the lights, the rest is easy. I have 3 2 tube 4 foot fixtures which gives me ample space for 3 trays. That takes care of all my starting needs. Even though it sounds like a lot I only wind up with 7 plants. I always have 2 Brandywines and 2 Orange Blossoms. The other 3 keep changing. Last year I grew a Black Brandywine from Totally Tomatoes that really wasnt. It had potato leaves and was black, which is all I can say for it. Mr. Stripey was a great tomato but I wanted to expand my use of Territorial Seeds and neither they nor Johnnys sells that kind so I am going with different varieties.

Jim

o

I heard the coolest idea on Saturday.
My husband and I listen to a gardening show and a caller called in to say that just before they transplant their tomatoes(with walls of water), the guy pours 3 big pots of hot or boiling water into the holes to make sure that the ground is warm enough too.
Makes sense to have to roots nice and warm when transplanted.

I was wondering if it would do anything to the soil though.

Guess it is a question I can pose in my Master Gardener class when it starts in a few weeks.
I will let ya'll know what I find out... if anyone is interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here