Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmeg002_gw

Seed varieties?

nutmeg002
17 years ago

I am fairly new to Utah gardening and was wondering if anyone had advice on melon or cucumber or corn varieties that are really good here. I have been reading all the seed cataloges, ploting and planning my garden.

Comments (10)

• stevation
    17 years ago

I don't know about the melons and cukes (I think any cuke will grow here, probably), but I have grown corn most years. We've enjoyed Silver Queen quite a bit. But a new variety caught my attention in an email from Park's Seed. It's called Mirai, and you just have to read the description from their website. It's almost breathless and gushing! Kind of funny how over-the-top they went with the description, but hey, it convinced me to buy a pack! I'll grow it this summer. The link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirai corn

• jimh6278
    17 years ago

I have grown Diva cukes for years. The plant has all female flowers which produce a lot of fruit. Almost seedless and very thin sweet skin. Never needs peeling. The reason I grow them is to save space. We do not put cukes up and only need enough for fresh. A few plants on a trellis will do for a family and neighbors.

• nutmeg002
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info! Are the Diva cukes in most of the catalogs?

• jimh6278
    17 years ago

I think they are in many. I bought mine from Johnny's but they are also in Jung. The variety I am most interested this year is the hybrid Zukes from johnny's that can be trellised and don't need pollination. I would love to get a few fresh without a large area devoted to hills. My main Zuke crop comes from Costata Romanesco. I have asked Johnny's, who breed a lot of their own seeds, if they would try to breed a hybrid with a smaller footprint but so far no luck. They are so good and different they get their own space anyway.

• zachslc
    17 years ago

Trombocino is a climbing "zucchini".

• bindersbee
    17 years ago

If you contact the Utah State Extention Service for your county, they have lists of different varieties they have trialed at USU. I usually buy cukes and such as plants since I only need one or two but start my own heirloom tomato varieties from seed. In any case, the extention service will give you some great lists of veggie varieties to try. I like to order veggie stuff from Territorial Seed Co. or Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and tomato and pepper stuff from Totally Tomatoes.

• linda_utah
    17 years ago

I've had good luck with Early Girl tomatoes here, and with Milano paste tomatoes.

Just this week I found myself back in touch with one of my favorite seed suppliers: Roswell Seed Company, 115 S. Main, Roswell, NM 88203 - 505-622-7701. They're not on the web, but if you give them a call, they'll get a small catalog out to you in just a few days time. They're prices are still some of the most reasonable to be found.

I've ordered this year from John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds for the first time. Johnny's is an old reliable, but their prices, as well as Burpee's have gone sky high.

• zachslc
    17 years ago

Are the roswell seeds from outer space? Mmmm...space tomatoes.

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

I am sure that the taste is "Outta this world"!!! :-)

• linda_utah
    17 years ago

I've been getting a lot of Roswell jokes from friends and family. I wish I could come up with snappy comebacks but, alas, that's not my forte. I get a laugh out of the jokes anyway. Who knows? This could be interesting. I'll keep my camera handy just in case. LOL