Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcan_gw

Garlic & Onions

pcan
13 years ago

Hello everyone! I hope you all are as excited about spring coming as I am. It's now in the 40's and my brain is garden planning like you wouldn't believe.

This year will be the first year of my full garden! After two long years of cleaning up the land enough to get it to this point.

My garden area is separately fenced from the rest of the back yard, so the Chihuahua doesn't decide to snack. ;) It is 60 feet in length and 30 feet in depth. Along the back fence is the main irrigation ditch that we pull water from.

I am planning on doing rows of various annuals. Starting with, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, tomato's, peppers, beets, potato's. In addition I am putting in a couple dwarf fruit trees, some strawberries, raspberries and asparagus along the irrigation ditch.

My main question at this point is garlic and onions... I love them all and would like to set aside an area for them. I have heard they are annuals, but also that they are perennials??? It will make a big difference as to where I put them since I will be tilling annually. Also, with irrigation, should they be kept further away from the irrigation ditches I dig between rows? And, is it best to plant them together in the same area?

Specifically, red onions, green onions, chives and garlic.

Thanks for any tips you can give me on this!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County