Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hjust1

Blueberries

hjust1
17 years ago

I've seen several seed magazines that show dwarf blueberry plants and wondered if I put it in a pot so I could use more acidic soil than my yard has, (maybe bagged soil) do you think I could grow a couple plants? I know when I tried in my Payson house the plant seemed to do OK, but of course, no berries.

Thanks,

Heather

Comments (8)

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

I think it is "WoCo" who has had some luck with blueberries down in the Cedar City area. Maybe he shed some light for you.
    Mightbe that Cedar is alot cooler than here most days.
    I think he saidhis Ph was naturally real low... Highly unusual for UT!
    Forgive me if I am wrong and it is not Woco, but it is someone down near Cedar.
    I would love to grow blueberries here, and I am going to try this year.
    I am yanking out two blue spruces that have seen better days, where one is now, I am going to amend the ground like crazy & plant some blueberries and just pray it will work.
    If they do not thrive, atleast I will have tried & gained experience.

• linda_utah
    17 years ago

About 10 years ago I tried growing several varieties of blueberries here in Vernal. We built a raised planter out of D logs & filled it with a mixture of a little native soil, lots of sand, & lots of peat moss. I planted four blueberry plants and they all grew beautifully. I couldn't figure out what was happening to the berries, though, as they disappeared with regularity. One day I pulled into my driveway just in time to catch a robin cheerfully downing blueberries. I have no idea how it kept from choking on the berries!

So, it can be done! Just do some research and give it some thought and some work & I'll bet you have blueberries growing at your house. A bird net would probably be a good idea, though. We never did get to eat any of our berries, but that's ok.

I think we must have had that planting mix on the really acidic side, as when we decided to turn that planter into an herb garden, it took some remixing to get the soil to where the herbs did well. But, the herb garden has done very well for a long time, and I'm really pleased with it. I'm glad I tried the blueberry experiment first, though.

• lovestogarden
    10 years ago

Hey Songbirdmommy, were you able to grow blueberries?

• Stormygale
    10 years ago

I have grown blueberries since 1985. You should acidify your water down to at least ph6 (vinegar works). Use pine sawdust, peatmoss and composted horse manure (1 year old) in equal amounts. Buy plants in 3 quart containers at Lowes or Home Depot or nursery. Plants spread their roots in the top foot of soil. Wood chips make a good base and mulch. Watch your leaves as they will indicate problems. USU Extension service has information on blueberry growing. (http://extension.usu.edu/yardandgarden/htm/fruits-and-nuts/blueberries) 15 to 25 gallon black nursery pots work for plants older than 3 years (3 qt=2year). Start with 6" of wood chips in the bottom.

This post was edited by Stormygale on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 1:18

• Stormygale
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by Stormygale on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 21:59

• Stormygale
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by Stormygale on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 22:00

• Stormygale
    3 years ago

I bought another home near downtown SLC.

As usual, I have Blueberries growing again.

There is netting to discourage the birds.

There are huge amounts of composting worms in the acidic bedding (1,000 per cubic foot!).

pH in Utah is critical; never let get to 7!!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus