Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Eureka Lemon Tree

Posted by cpelfring 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 17:18

I received my lemon tree about two years ago. Haven't had luck with lemons yet. Although, it flourished this past summer, I can't say the same this time around.

I brought it in once the weather turned ugly, and I stuck it next to my husbands salt water fish tank (just to give it some hardy grow light). It seemed to be doing good, nothing like real sunlight though. I watered it whenever the soil was dry and misted the leaves every day.

About two weeks ago we took down the fish tank, now my little tree has barely any light on it (I live in a dark basement -- Almost like a dungeon lol all my windows are north facing). I've always had a 65 watt fluorescent flood light on it, but I really don't think it's ever done much for the tree. The little guy is really starting to look SAD... I'm considering going out and buying a small greenhouse with a heater just so it'll get some sun? I also have considered buying a real grow light for times like these. That way I don't have to go outside in the cold just to water the guy.

Any suggestions? I'm worried for the little lemons that I've been looking forward to for TWO years now! It can't die on me yet... HELP!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
This is what it looks like

o
RE: Dwarf Eureka Lemon Tree

I hope it is not too late. I just saw your message.
It appears to me to be a watering issue. I really do not think light would cause the wilting that I see.
First I would check for insects on the trunk, branches and leaves - even underneath the leaves. The pests most likely to be on citrus are aphids and scale.
Next, if you can, put it in the shower and spray it off well which will help control insects and soak through the soil well. If you did see any pests I would first spray thoroughly with insecticidal soap (aphids) or horticultural oil (scale or aphids). Be sure you get the underneath the leaves. Then follow up with water - just barely warm water. After the leaves dry off then put it back where it was. Do not water again until the soil seems slightly dry when you stick your finger in up to the first knuckle. When watering, water enough so the soil soaks in and a little comes out the bottom of the pot. I have never misted my citrus and do not see any reason to do so.

I have two lemon trees, one navel orange, one key lime, and two grapefruit. One lemon tree I have had for years and moved with me to Alaska and back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Landscaping - lemons

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here