Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_02

Where is the best place to get compost in the Salt Lake valley?

Ann_02
10 years ago

I need to get a huge amount of compost this spring to make the beds I want in my back yard. I've gone to the dump before to buy compost, but is that the best place? The last load I got was filled with bits of glass and wasn't the highest quality. But I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Comments (6)

• snibb
    10 years ago

That's the problem with 'free' stuff from municipal dumps. Even the so-called 'green' material is not very good. The best commercial compost available is from Gardner and bloome. It's $10 for 3 cubic feet. You can find it at IFA , Wasatch Shadows, or Glovers in West Jordan. Don't get the harvest supreme-that's the exact same thing for the same amount but you only get 2 cubic feet. Of course the absolute best compost is made for free with things that come out of your kitchen and yard. I've got a picture of the compost on my blog if you want to see it. You can find it at: thewealthyearth.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Http://thewealthyearth.com

• charina
    10 years ago

You might consider the composted pine bark fines that you can buy by the yard at most of the nurseries. Asphalt products in South Jordan has a very good price on the Miller Product's composted bark fines. Wasatch shadows isn't too bad either. I picked up 3 yards 2 weeks ago for $44/yard at WS.

• snibb
    10 years ago

That stuff isn't bad but it's not much in the way of organic compost-too much filler for me. Gardner and Bloome Soil Building Compost is the best ticket-it's $10 for 3 cubic feet but it's got 8 or 9 different ingredients in it

• Ann_02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I have a friend that works at IFA, I'll probably look for the Gardner and Bloome compost there.

• Stormygale
    9 years ago

I prefer one year old aged horse manure / sawdust compost from:

LynnleighÃÂ Farm
    10777 S State St
    Sandy,ÃÂ UT

For $5.00 they will load your pickup, trailer or combination. I use plywood sideboards to double the load. Using a shredder when unloading it will make it much finer. You can use my sideboards and rent my shredder.

Nurseries use semi loads of their compost mixed with soil to create bulk garden soil.

Adding 2" spring and fall as mulch will keep your garden in excellent condition and keep your shoes and knees clean.

This post was edited by Stormygale on Tue, May 6, 14 at 14:56

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor