Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Hostas in Utah

mary_max
17 years ago

How many of you use them in your yard? For some reason I thought it was too hot here, but I saw a bunch of them today at Walmart. Do you have any thoughts on them that you would share with me? Most of my yard has sun for at least 6 hours. Would this work for growing hostas? Which is best morning sun or afternoon sun or does it matter? I know they need shade too. I would love to hear any success stories regarding growing hostas in your yard. Also have you ever bought the hostas from Walmart and if so were you pleased with them? Thanks so much.

Comments (6)

• ocimum_nate
    17 years ago

Hostas do quite well here in Utah they can handle morning sun. afternoon sun is usually a bit much for especially for the varigated ones. Shade is best for them and they can end up with a bit of leaf scorch though if they get too much sun.

• stevation
    17 years ago

Mine are growing well here, too. They only get perhaps two or three hours of morning sun. Actually, one is planted out beyond the shade line on the north side of the house, so it gets too much sun, and it's definitely not liking that. The other ones right nearby are shaded and doing fine.

Snails love hostas, so make sure you manage the snail population!

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

I have grown Hostas for years and love them.
    It will be like Christmas in a month or two, seeing what pops up. I am hoping there are some hostas in my new yard.
    I am not taking my chances though, Costco is selling a package of 7 for 10 dollars, so I bought a few of those, among other plants.
    Hostas thrive in shady areas.
    Being a perennials, they come back every year bigger and better than the last.
    The blooms they get are gorgeous, but they too, do not like the sun.
    Be nice to your plants and consider what they like and do not like when planting.
    Life is stressful enough not to like where you live.... same goes for the plants.
    Do not always take the advise of sales people. When I was first gardening with perennials, I was told to plant my foxglove in full sun............It got fried!

Watch where the shadows play out in your yard.
    If you do not have anything in your yard yet, consider planting hostas on the northside of your home, or under a big shady tree.
    Take care to water early in the morning... if you water later in the day or evening, slugs and snails will be attracted to your Hostas and eat them, literally to death!
    Also water droplets on the hosta act as a magnifying glass and if the sun hits it in the afternoon, it will fry!

• mary_max
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I will pick up some from Costco.

• grvtykllr
    17 years ago

If yuo hacve enough shade and a good system for watering to keep them moist they do really well here.
    I have some in my patio area, maybe 30 plants and they have enough shade and a drip system to the entire area keeps them watered in the summer before teh suns up and again about 11 pm, both times for only about a half hour of water.
    Several different types of hostas. Been here for maybe 15 years and done very well.
    Enough shade is the key. My mom recently moved intoa new house and Ill be digging up the part that the sun rarely hits to make a walk way and a hosta garden.
    If you do well withthe hostas, stick some lily of the valley in between some of the plants.
    Hostas spread out and grow and need to be thinned back once ina while. Ill be thinning mine by splitting htem in half and moving the discarded pieces to my moms for her garden. you may well find someone who has no need of the new plants though and would share them with you.
    I also saw some for pretty cheap at Eburgess.com. You can request a catalog or view it on that site. walmarts hostas in the past have worked well for me and where not too expensive. Feel like making a drive?
    I dont knwo if its too far for you or not but I live in the tooele valley and make a trip each spring to brigham city. On 89, between ogden and brigham there are many nurserys with hard to find and original plants. I recently found a great one in springville as well.
    Western gardens is pretty good if you are not lookig for anythign too hard to find and are just off the freeway at the south end of SLC.

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

I found a site gilberthwild.com that sells hostas- 100 for 100 dollars! That is only $1 per hosta!
    Drawback is they are no names... so you could end up with any type of hosta. They guarantee at least 5 varieties in the 100, but no guarantee past that.

Has anyone ever heard of this company- good or bad?
    Has anyone ever had dealings with them?
    I am interested in buying hosta and they have the same deal on daylillies and lilies which I am interested in also... sure beats the prices of Costco and Walmart... who both have sold me dried out and dead plants- once I got them out of the bags!

Home Depot is selling their bagged bulbs 50% off... bought some lily of the valley and glads Saturday and they are in wonderful condition!