Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picturewing

Newbie wants to hire someone local for gardening advice

picturewing
16 years ago

OK, so my history is this: outdoor gardening: zilch. Indoor plant growing, including cacti, succulents, and orchids: about 7 years.

Last year we bought a house in Holladay. It has an ivy-overgrown garden with other stuff (like what looks like tulip or daffodil plants) trying desperately to poke their way out of thematted mess of ivy. There's some more plants that look like they were planted in there on purpose, and some others that look like the birds brought them in (they look like big weeds to me) or big gardening mistakes. However, I'm too much of a novice to be able to tell what's what. I'm also worried about the rocks in the rock garden: several large ones appear loose and several others have been uncovered by my frantic efforts to get rid of the ivy look like they might also be dislodged by erosion over time.

I think I need professional help. Is there any local (local to SLC or Cottonwood Height, Murray/Holladay) Master Gardener whom I could hire to walk around the garden with me and help identify plants, weeds, good stuff to have, bad stuff, good plants in wrong places, how to maintain what I've already got (plants and rocks and soil) and how to improve the situation? How much would such a service cost, in general? (I have never heard of anything like this done...)

I would be happy under other circumstances to learn by reading, trial, and error, but right now there are two members of my family under the age of three who need constant attention and I think some guidance regarding the rock stabilization at least is necessary to ensure their safety, if nothing else.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Karen

Comments (3)