Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picturewing

Newbie does battle with ivy (and is losing)

picturewing
16 years ago

Howdy, everyone!

We just moved here from Philadelphia, and I am a raw but enthusiastic new gardener (read: NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever, except with indoor plants). I've "inherited" -- from the former owners of our house -- a large rock garden on a west-facing slope that looks like at one time in its life it had great personality. Now that personality (in the form of various flowering plants, shrubs, and ground cover) is being perfectly smothered by ivy. The ivy even went to seed last summer when we moved in, and after reading about how it can strangle everything else in a garden (and how the seeds are spread by birds), I set about removing, by hand, one stubborn strand at a time. I managed to clear about 10% of it before the doctor ordered me to stop (I was pregnant at the time, with my second child).

First question: Is there a faster (but environmentally friendly) way to clear this stuff?

Second question: The 10% that I cleared by hand should probably be planted with something this spring to stop erosion and the now-exposed rocks from tumbling down into my house, yes? Do you have recommendations of plants I can grow that will have a fighting chance against the ivy, but not be so tenacious and fast-growing in and of themselves to then become ANOTHER pesky plant to deal with? I'm thinking perhaps phlox, lily of the valley, white and blue balloon flowers ... but any suggestions appreciated. I would love to plant a white-and-blue garden that is fragrant and attractive to birds and butterflies and will do well in a west-facing rock garden. Oh, and I also have snails, so anything snail-resistant would be a big plus!

I don't know anything about garden design, but any pointers on where to start with that (books, websites) would also be most appreciated!

I'm delighted to be a new member of this forum and of the Holladay community here in Salt Lake, and I thank you in advance for your patience and expertise with my newbie questions!

Karen

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!