Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utahrose_gw

Gardening Newbie Needs Advice

utahrose
15 years ago

Just getting interested in gardening as I moved to a house in Salt Lake CIty with a big yard last fall. I've never done a bit of gardening before, and wow, there is so much to learn! I'm more than a little confused. I'm wondering if anyone has some advice for me about:

1.) What zone are we in? I seem to read a lot of conflicting reports. I live in Rose Park area of SLC, and some people have told me I'm 6B, others 7. When is the last frost date, typically?

2.) Any nurseries that others can recommend for quality, selection and price? I like the idea of supporting local businesses when I can.

3.) Easy plants to grow for a beginner? I've been thinking about doing some square foot gardening with tomatoes, basil, rosemary, strawberries, lettuce, carrots, pumpkins and cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, cilantro and rosemary. Is that just too ambitious? (also do squash and pumpkins even work in SFG?

4.) Also - is it too late to start my plants indoors? Can I just buy seedlings?

5.) Any other online forums? Or other local resources, classes or recommended books?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (7)

• jimh6278
    15 years ago

I also live in Rose Park. I believe we are Zone 6 moving toward 7. That, however, doesn't have a lot of impact on vegetable gardening. Most of your vegetables are annuals with a few biannuals. Your soil probably has a pH of 7 but you might want to check.

Western Garden Center downtown is a good source of information, starts, soil amendments, etc. It is located at 6E between 5th and 6th south. Tina, Ben, Joel, & Lee are all very knowledgeable and active gardeners that can answer specific questions.

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

You asked about your zone and also about the last frost date. Keep in mind that those are two different concepts. The zone really only deals with the coldest lows you get. We don't get nearly as cold as places like the Midwest, but we usually have later spring frosts and earlier fall frosts.

Average last/first frost dates for SLC are 5/18 and 9/29. I wouldn't think pumpkins and squash would do well with SFG, because they have such large vines. Same goes for cukes, really.

One good source of local information is the greenhouse show on KSL radio. There's a master gardener (Larry Sagers) who answers questions that people call in. There are podcasts available on their website.

I'm north a bit, so I don't know the garden shops around there.

Here is a link that might be useful: KSL Greenhouse show

• utahrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great advice, I'm having fun just reading all these posts and getting lots of input. Thanks!

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

You might also be interested in the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum. There are people from other Rocky Mountain states there with some of the same conditions we see here.

• amlinde78
    15 years ago

I am bit south of you, Spanish Fork, but I post lots of information on my Utah gardening blog that maybe helpful for the beginner, www.vegenag.com.

Others in the forum have answered many of your questions well. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Utah Vegetable Gardening Blog

• barb422
    15 years ago

You can do lettuce and carrots from seed outdoors now.
    Last year I put in a bunch of looseleaf lettuce and spinach, then when it was tomato planting time (late May) I pulled all the lettuce and spinach out because it was bolting and getting tough.

I've planted my lettuce already. In addition to seed I planted some starts from IFA and they're holding up fine with this cold.

I don't know much about strawberries, but the rosemary I would buy a plant when you see them later in the nursery. If you get the hardy "Arp" rosemary it can be perennial for you. Mine is 30" x 30" and in the flower border. It would take up too much space in the SFG beds. However if you're just growing an annual variety to rip out each year, I'm sure you could put it in the SF bed.

I don't believe you're too late to start the rest from seed indoors at all. Generally they say to count back from the average last frost date (May 18th that bpgreen gave you above) the weeks it suggests on the seed packet and start them then.

At Western Gardens a nice lady printed out for me a "planting guide for Utah vegetables" that shows the planting dates and such. She also printed out a "second crop" one for a fall planting. So be sure to ask.

For more classes and resources
    Slowtheflow.org - If you click on events they're got tons of free classes this year, in the Ogden area, Jordan Valley water, and the Orem one too.

Wasatch Community Gardens has classes in the downtown area. They seem to be filling up fast though.

Red Butte Gardens and Thanksgiving Point have some too.

Sorry to be so long winded. Good luck and happy planting.

PS. Amlinde- Looks like a lot of good information on your blog. Thanks for the link.

• utahrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I am finding fellow gardeners to be the most generous people who are willing to share their knowledge. Amlinde, I can't wait to read more of the blog, it looks great. Barb422, thank for that very detailed answer, it helped so much.

Sponsored