Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdasay

Will Expected Snow Trample My Tulips?

mdasay
17 years ago

My yard has been a work in progress for the past five years and this year it's finally looking like something to be proud of. My hyacinth have budded out, my tulips are coming out with buds and my daffodils are starting to open (I have put in over a thousand bulbs the past five years, and I'm liking the outcome this spring). Now John Goulet is telling me we are going to get 5-10 inches on the benches!!! What will my bulbs do? Wilt over and remain in a prostrate position the rest of the spring? Any tips on what to do to avoid breakage?

Comments (6)

• mary_max
    17 years ago

Last year my daffodils opened then we got a night of snow. They were on the ground but many of them did stand up again. Hopefully yours will not be harmed to badly. I am hoping this storm will not be as severe as they say. Perhaps the snow and cold temps will stay in the mts. I have moved a ton of perennials in my gardens the past week and hopefully they will not be destroyed. I am so ready to start gardening but I know I better slow down a bit. Where do you get your forecast? I have several different sites that I check and each one has a totally different temp. I don't know which one is right! Keep your fingers crossed that the temps will not be too destructive.

• dereks
    17 years ago

The night time temps will depend on cloud cover. Less clouds, more cold.

Mary, the plants you moved will be fine.

As far as the bulbs go, heavy snow can do a number on them. So hopefully the snow will be minimal. That's the bad thing about an early warm spell. Things get growing and then it snows. Happens every time.

• mary_max
    17 years ago

Dereks thanks so much letting me know the perennials will be fine. I won't worry anymore about them. They probably will enjoy this wet spell!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    17 years ago

Hi mary max,

I'm an interloper from Colorado (post on Rocky Mtn. Gardening), but I just happened to notice your question about a good place to get the weather forecast, and, in my opinion, the National Weather Service on NOAA is far and away the best one. Just click on your area of Utah, and then you can narrow that down further. Their predictions are constantly updated, and will show all the watches and warnings, and you can click on the radar screen to see exactly what's in your area, and loop it to see which way it's moving. I haven't found any other site that comes anywhere near NOAA.

Happy spring,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: National Weather Service

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

If you just have a few tulips and they are not very tall, or clumped together, I think placing something over them for the night when it snows would be benefitual.
    I was thinking about this a few days ago....

First I though putting a bucket over them would protect them from the weight of snow, but it would not help beyond that.

Then I thought, if you have some bamboo garden stakes, place them in the ground and put a large brown paper bag over that.
    This way, the plant could breathe, the paper bag would act as an insulator, and the stakes would hold the sides of the bag up from the weight of the snow.
    If you get too much, or if it really wet, your bag would not hold up... but the light powdery stuff would act as a double insulator....

Good idea in thought, have no bulgs this year to test theory.
    Maybe someone could let me know if it worked!

I just might send the idea into Garden Gate or Backyard Living! :-)

• netfusion_aol_com
    13 years ago

I just put a tulip and hyacinth garden in the front yard and now its lightly snowing. I decided to cover it with painters plastic temporarily until the snow goes away. When the sun comes out I'll remove the plastic to the plants dont become too warm. I know tulips typically like the cold, but I didnt want the snow to trample them down.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner