Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kliddle_gw

report on the seed swap

kliddle
16 years ago

it was a small crowd, but i think we all enjoyed it. more people is the only thing that could have made it better. well, maybe cake too.

perhaps it was short notice, lack of publicity, or just a bad weekend. in any case i was a good first attempt. i met some great people and came home with some great seeds that i am excited to try.

total cost was $0.

somebody please organize a plant/seed exchange for May. i will have about 40 fig trees needing homes. plus i still have a whole box of random seeds to give away.

thanks to all who participated.

Comments (6)

• zubababy
    16 years ago

kliddle
    thanks for putting the swap together. even though there wasn't a lot of people there, i still think it was successful.

i came home with lots o goodies. many different tomato varieties.
    thanks for the garlic, i split them up with many co-workers.

i enjoyed meeting everyone that came.

• pinepixy
    16 years ago

I totally agree! It was a fun morning and I received as many great ideas as great seeds. I hope we can have even more participation in future events.

Thanks so much for organizing this!

• theoriginalskooby
    16 years ago

Yeah it was a lot of fun. And I was impressed by the seed variety. I walked away with way more than I brought. So thank you everyone. I think this event will really catch on. I cannot wait to try the tomatoes and garlic in the salsa recipe.

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Sounds like a good time. I would have some plant babies for a plant swap though- and some really good babies I might add. I'm in a plant coop online and my $200 worth of baby plants from Terranova will be here next week. Terranova does some of the most innovative plant intros. for perennials but they only sell wholesale. Some of the plants I have won't be widely available for a couple more years.

I've also got a bunch of nice Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica babies to give away. I first saw this plant in the Denver Botanical Gardens and when blooming, they attract a lot of 'oh's' and 'ah's'.

• stevation
    15 years ago

So, what kinds of plants would you be looking for in exchange for these good babies? I could bring some baby plants, too, but mine may be somewhat run-of-the-mill, including:

- 'Stella D'Oro' daylily divisions
    - 'Rocket' Larkspur seedlings (annuals)
    - Coreopsis grandiflora 'Mayfield Giant' divisions

These may be a bit more interesting:
    - Lavatera taurisencis (name in dispute but likely a hardier variety of Lavatera thuringiaca, originally from T&M seed)
    - I almost forgot; I have two very nice Clematis 'Ville de Lyon' specimens that I've grown from cuttings two seasons ago, and they've just taken off with about four feet of growth sitting in my basement window. I could give one away (for something really good)

I also have a few invasive perennials that are pretty but be ready for some spreading:
    - Anthemis tinctoria 'Kelwayi'
    - Nepeta transcaucasica
    - Malva sylvestris (I've been trying to wipe these out)

I can always dig up some seedlings from my goldenrain trees, too. They're popping up all over the place.

What I'd be looking for are low-to-medium height perennials or annuals in pink/purple/lavender/white colors.

• cyclewest
    15 years ago

Put me down for interest in the Salvia as well! I'm afraid my seedling offerings are somewhat run-of-the-mill though. And other than some lupine, I forgot which variety but could pull up the packet, the rest are very leggy.

Although I did manage to get about five seedlings to start when my parents came to town with some tangerines from their CA backyard, three of them appear to be from one seed, and I haven't had the courage to try to separate them for fear of losing them. Of course, they are indoor plants here, and although true to seed, from what I've read, they could take years and years and years to blossom, but imagine blossoms indoors in Utah, that's the dream!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz