Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone_denial

Winter 2007/08 report

zone_denial
16 years ago

Hello all, I thought I'd post a report of how the babies fared this past winter - for those who are also pushing the limits in northern Utah and may be interested.

This past winter was a cold and snowy one here in northern Utah. With close to a foot of snow on the ground at one time. It dropped to single digits twice at my place, 6f and 9f, but the daytime highs stayed rather low, ok, mighty low for several weeks in December/January.

Bamboo

As expected, the arundinaria gigantea and fargasia rufa did very well - both rock solid here - so did the sasa pygmaea.

Yuccas

The yucca torreyi did splendid, with some protection(burlap around the trunk and a few xmas lights, I may push it a little harder next winter), all the y. brevifolia did great. The y. rostrata did fine, with a teepee built over it to keep it dry - no temperature protection at all. The y. aloifolia did fine against the house, but the one out in the wilderness got pounded. All the others did great in general.

Agave and Cacti

Nearly all the cacti came through with flying colors - 95% success. The agave are much trickier to keep happy during the wet winters here. Most a. utahensis should pull through ok; the a. parryi huachucensis looks to be ok; a. parryi truncata may be a goner(I'll know in a month or so); a. parryi Flagstaff form is 100% fine, as is a. utahensis 'Peach Springs'; a. parryi neomexicana is in tough shape(I've now corrected a serious drainage problem but may have to start over this spring), but it actually appears to be putting some new growth out, cross my fingers.

Palms

I think I've fried a needle palm, a trachycarpus and perhaps one of the sabal minors. The good news is that three trachys are in fine shape and I'm almost fully certain that they'll come out fine. The other needle is looking good, but it did have spear pull(I understand this is common the first several years). I still don't know if any sabal minors will come out good or not - for some reason I have had a tough time getting them established, but they've all been out in the wild and I haven't tried one against the house yet. I'll find out this year with the new McCurtain I have coming.

Melianthus major

I kept one out with a foot of pine mulch over it - I'm determined to make one overwinter as this is by far my favorite tropicalesque foliaged plant, other than palms and yuccas and bananas. I should know in a month or so.

Please let me know how you did as well...

Alan

Comments (4)

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

Hi Alan. Here it is March 19 and I still have a foot of snow on 90% of my garden and 50% of my yard. I'm not taking the boxes off of the palms yet! Global warming? What's that?

• zone_denial
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kevin

I'll bet you're biting at the bit to get those palms uncovered! I really thought this winter would never end, here, and I'm sorry to hear you're still there.

Just for kicks a while ago I went on the USU weather station website and pulled temps clear back to '49 at the Pleasant Grove station. It seemed there was a 10-13 year pattern of catastrophically cold and wet winters. The last was '93, the two foot winter. I think '59 was the all time low here in Lindon at -19f. Previously, I assumed we'd consistently gone sub zero here nearly every winter in the past; not so, even in the sixties/seventies we'd have several non sub winters. I do think the bottom temps have gone up, but most likely more effected by heat-island effect than anything. Utah Valley has nearly half a million people now compared to less than 200,000 not that long ago - that's a lot of blacktop and houses to hold the night time temps up.

Best, Alan

• bindersbee
    16 years ago

I'll be watching this thread to learn the fate of that Melianthus. It's on my 'lust list' for plants.

I think my border penstemons I brought back in a suitcase from my trip to Portland (and the lovely Joy Creek Gardens) last summer would have pulled through the winter just fine had I not panicked in late December and attempted to take cuttings. Duh on me! I may have to order some again. I'm pretty sure with just minor mulching or protection they'd overwinter just fine (they are zone 7). The 'Port Wine' penstemon was unbelieveably gorgeous. The blooms on these types of penstemon are 2-3 times larger than on regular hardy varieties and border penstemons also prefer more average garden conditions and pampering than natives.

• zone_denial
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi bindersbee

The border penstemons sound very interesting, I'll have to google and check them out.

I just ordered another melianthus to be safe. If the other konks then I'll replace in the front yard, if not, then I'm placing the new one on the south wall - a full zone warmer.

Best, Alan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting