Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Exotic fruits can we grow in UT?

Posted by turrialgringo 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 0:34

So I live in SLC and just planted (don't know how they'll handle the heat and cold of our "Zone 7" but we'll see:
Persimmons
Pawpaw
Maypop- passion fruit
hardy kiwi
and honey berry

Anyone else grow crazy fruits? Maybe pushing the limits of our zone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Exotic fruits can we grow in UT?

I have planted all of those with in the past 3 years with mixed results, still no fruit.

Arguta kiwis seem to be slow to get going and although I have two, three year old females I am having a hard time keeping a male alive. I think in our climate they could benefit from partial shade at least when they are young.

My honey berries are going into their second season and haven produce fruit yet. They have grown very little in a year and although they have flowered I have never seen any bees on them probably because they aren't big enough to draw them in. This is another plant that I think would benefit from partial shade.

I tried a blue crown passiflora that grew like a weed but didn't make it through the winter. I am going to order some maypops myself and think they should do fine here.

I planted a saijo persimmon last summer that died this winter. The tree was grafted to american persimmon rootstock that grew very well, I was surprised at how quickly the root stock grew and set out branches. I think if your persimmon is cold hardy enough it should do really well here. I plan to replace it with a rossenyanka hybrid but I can't find anyone selling them at the moment.

I have a seedling pawpaw that is going on its third growing season. Nothing to special about them just keep it shaded the first season and give it plenty of water.

I also planted a salatvaski pom and a hardy chicago fig last summer that made it through the winter with about 50% die back. I don't know if it will be worth keeping the pom as I don't want to wrap a large tree every fall just to keep it alive. It did grow very well here and doubled its size in one growing season.
As for the fig I plan on training some main lateral branches really close to the ground. This way I can prune off the new growth at the end of the season, bury the laterals in leaves, throw a tarp over it and call it good. Also the fig did produce for me last summer and they were pretty good.

Greg p.s. I live in Payson zone 6

o
RE: What Exotic fruits can we grow in UT?

Greg, I forgot I also planted a "favorite" pom which was brought from Russia, so I imagine it is a close relative to yours. They say it's good down to below 10. Its in a pot now but I don't know if I want to bring it in each year...
The persimmons I got was Nikita's Gift. I read the Nikita's Gift and Rossenyanka are supposed to be the hardiest of the persimmons. I'd be interested to find out what happens with yours.
I forgot to mention my potted plants I guess too. I have 2 pineapple guava, a citrus, and a hand of budha. (all new this year...) I think I'll try to shade them (all) 4 O'clockish on as we do get intense sun.
Thanks for oosting,
Aaron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here