Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lupines

Posted by katzpur 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 1:00

I would like information on planting Lupines in the Salt Lake City area. When can I plant, and where is the best place to buy quality plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lupines

I've never tried Lupine before, but just as a general rule for Utah, I try not to set out bedding plants until around Mother's Day weekend. Unless I know for sure they're tough and can take a little snow (like pansies, peas, etc). In my old Zone7 garden it used to be Tax Day, but not up here in "The Great White North" known as Utah. :D

o
RE: Lupines

I think the best Lupines you can buy are the ones you start yourself. Check out the winter sowing forum to learn how to start seeds outdoors. I started Lupines this way and had tons of them. They flower the second year. The sad thing is is that Lupines are not reliable to come back year after year. Put yours in an area that can get afternoon shade. That may help. You could also start seeds each year and you will always have them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here