Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Whats the best place to buy orchids?

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to find a good selection of orchids. I have never grown them but want to get a few varities to try. I have seen a few around a Lowes or Home Depot but would like to find someplace that has a larger selection. Somewhere in the Ogden to Salt Lake area. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• ocimum_nate
    16 years ago

I saw a pretty good selection at cactus and tropicals store in Draper/Sandy area.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

There was once a vast place in Ogden. Is it still there?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ocimum Nate, thanks for the suggestion, I'm planning to go there on Friday to check out their selection.

Albert 135, I'm confused, what do you mean "a vast place in Ogden"?

• kliddle
    16 years ago

cactus and tropicals in holiday might be closer. they will teach you about what you buy and make recomendations better than home depot or lowes.

if you ever find yourself in southern california, there are several growers out there. it is fun to go browse acres of orchids. they are about half the price as well.

the species that you see at the hardware stores are probably where you should start. i used to keep over 40 different species and i have come to the conclusion that the reason home depot sells what they do is because they simply perform the best and show well. my favorite is phalenopsis. one of the cheapest and longest blooming orchides i have kept. and my favorite blossom.

some quick general advice on orchids (always exceptions). they don't like a water, they don't like heat, they don't like direct sun, the don't like hard water, and they love humidity, constant temperatures, air circulation and bright indirect light. they do best away from windows in bright rooms with humidityÂbathrooms and rooms with evaporative coolers are great. most orchids will die a slow death in a home with central air and heating without special care such as frequent misting rather than watering. if you know what they like and give it to them they are great houseplants. if not, buy them just as they are starting to bloom and enjoy them for a few months then pass them to a friend with a greenhouse or a green thumb and get a new one. sounds expensive, but it is cheaper than cut flowers.

trivia: given ideal conditions and no disasters, an orchid will live forever. almost all other organisms have a max life expectancy, but orchids do not. being somewhat fragile, this never happens, but it could.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kliddle, Thanks for a all the great info! I am planning to go to Cactus and Tropicals on about 2700 S this friday. I live in Layton so that is a lot closer than Draper. Next time I go to California I will probably be looking for a lot of plants that you don't see too much here. I will keep all of your advice in mind and hopefully have good luck with orchids like I do my other house plants! I do have a swamp cooler in my house so thats good and I plan on keeping them in the living room with faces south and gets a lot of bright light all year. Thanks again!
    Linda

Sponsored