Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
songbirdmommy

Baby Chicks

songbirdmommy
17 years ago

I got baby chicks yesterday!

I ordered them from Murray McMurray hatcheries, but they got lost in the mail so we did lose some.

They had been someplace in the Postal service since Saturday!

My children woke up this morning to peeping of a baby chick in their ear. It was so cute to see the excitement on their faces!

They are so gentle with each of them.

It motivated them to get out of bed right away, get ready, and come down sooner than normal!

You would have thought it was Christmas morning!

Now Saturday's projects for the next two or three weeks... build a nice coop, so when they are old enough to go outdoors, they will have a nice home to live in.

The kids are more excited than my sweetheart on building this!

I told him he can atleast finish last week's project first... insulating and sheetrocking my potting shed.

I can tape and mud it while he is @ work and paint it too.

Then after the chicks are in their new home, then he can hang the new cabinets and install the countertops.

It'll be nice to move my now makeshift potting shed off the back patio!

Everyone have a fantstic day, I am off to play Mother Hen!

Comments (3)

• songbirdmommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

New Castle has a PO? Wow!
    I had been wondering if your mail came through Enterprise. I have several friends who live in Beryl and have PO boxes in Enterprise. Guess cause they are there everyday it is easier for them.
    The girls that work at the Enterpise PO are really great, one of them lives out in Beryl too.

Shari, it sounds like your ranch is really getting going! It is fun to hear what you are doing out there!

I am SOOO curious.... How in the world did you ever find, much less pick Beryl? Most people, even here in UT have NO idea where in the world any town from Enterprise Valley is.
    Would love to hear the story! :-)
    LOL... When I tell people I am from Enterprise, they think it is Morgan County... (a mystery town somewhere north of Park City).
    When I explain 40 miles N. of St. George and 40 miles W. of Cedar City, they look at me with a blank stare or say... "Oh... by Zion Ntl Park"... wrong way! LOL
    We went to a state competition once and they announced us coming from the 4 corners! in SE UT....I was tempted to buy them a map! LOL

• hjust1
    16 years ago

I got my baby chicks in the mail May 3, along with ducks and geese, but I ordered from Cackle Hatchery. Even though they had been in the mail an extra day, I only lost two ducks (very sad) and on the second day I lost a chick, but otherwise things have been going great.

We got a mix of chicks too, and now they have most of their wing feathers I'm able to recognize some of them. lol Some are barred rock, white rock, cinnamon queen or red star . . . Not sure about all of them, but we'll see what they turn out to be.

Ducks: I have 1 khaki campbell, 1 Cayuga, and 2 that are probably either Fawn runner or white peking. and my Geese, 2 that are either White Emden or White Chinese and 2 that are either Tolouse or African. The water birds are lot more messy, but they've been a lot of fun and they'll keep my weeds and bugs down a lot. We've moved everyone out to the 'coop' already--it's really a shed with a window, we haven't added nests or roosts or the chicken door yet, but it's early days yet. The water birds go out to the enclosure that will be the lean to-when we finish the dang thing, but only during the day. It's still a bit cool at night for them to be out, and while our setup is safe enough from daytime preditors, it wouldn't hold up against Racoons.

Now we're trying to figure out how we're going to get t-posts into the ground when it is filled with rocks. So far we've had no luck getting it more than a few inches down and a post hole digger isn't intended to dig up rocks more than 10 inches across. *sigh*
    lol
    Heather J

• hjust1
    16 years ago

I got my baby chicks in the mail May 3, along with ducks and geese, but I ordered from Cackle Hatchery. Even though they had been in the mail an extra day, I only lost two ducks (very sad) and on the second day I lost a chick, but otherwise things have been going great.

We got a mix of chicks too, and now they have most of their wing feathers I'm able to recognize some of them. lol Some are barred rock, white rock, cinnamon queen or red star . . . Not sure about all of them, but we'll see what they turn out to be.

Ducks: I have 1 khaki campbell, 1 Cayuga, and 2 that are probably either Fawn runner or white peking. and my Geese, 2 that are either White Emden or White Chinese and 2 that are either Tolouse or African. The water birds are lot more messy, but they've been a lot of fun and they'll keep my weeds and bugs down a lot. We've moved everyone out to the 'coop' already--it's really a shed with a window, we haven't added nests or roosts or the chicken door yet, but it's early days yet. The water birds go out to the enclosure that will be the lean to-when we finish the dang thing, but only during the day. It's still a bit cool at night for them to be out, and while our setup is safe enough from daytime preditors, it wouldn't hold up against Racoons.

Now we're trying to figure out how we're going to get t-posts into the ground when it is filled with rocks. So far we've had no luck getting it more than a few inches down and a post hole digger isn't intended to dig up rocks more than 10 inches across. *sigh*
    lol
    Heather J

Sponsored