Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing sprinkler shut off valve below frostline

Posted by Tubal Utah (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:09

Hi all.

I'm attempting to put in a sprinkler system in Northern Utah where the frost line is approx. 36" below ground.

The house is around 30 years old, and at one time, there was another sprinkler system in place by the previous owner, but it has long since eroded so I'm basically starting from scratch.

The water main comes in to the house and is buried about 36" below ground. The old owner had his sprinkler system tied into this main about a foot back from the house, and all that was remaining was a plugged 3/4" tee. So that is my water source.

I've dug down to the tee, and actually attached some pvc to run up to ground level with a ball valve as my sprinkler shutoff valve, and that's where I'm at now.

I'm thinking that this isn't going to work, because it will freeze and break. Am I correct in assuming that, and if so, is there a way to keep this from happening? Could I put the shutoff valve in a valve box 12" below ground, or would I need to install a valve 3' below ground? How?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing sprinkler shut off valve below frostline

I got so pissed off at my sprinkler system I ripped out the valves and started over. I was sick and tired of trying execute repairs in a tiny whole in the ground. Get angry just thinking about it.

I'm guilty of having put in most of it. I decided to go in the opposite direction. I built an above ground box and all of the valves are above ground on quick disconnects the electrics are on quick disconnects. In a couple of weeks I will kill the water, spin the quick disconnects and pull the whole valve manifold system and put it in the basement for winter. I will never have a frozen busted valve again.
Done. Even if I forget it, repairs can be done at the kitchen table.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here