Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

Songbird asked for it -- garden pics

stevation
16 years ago

OK, OK, in another thread, Songbirdmommy asked for some garden pics. Twist my rubber arm! Here's a pic of my experimental tulip/pansy area in my front flowerbed.

{{gwi:204857}}

I say experimental because last summer (August, I think), I found out Thanksgiving Point was having a final clearance sale on all the spring bulbs that they used in their garden and then lifted for sale. The bulbs had been sitting in baskets all summer, and on the final week of the sale, everything was half off. But I went on the final day, and the lady in the shop said, "Hey, those bulbs are awfully small; just count a handful as one bulb when you check out." So I ended up with about 200 bulbs for around $10. Some were daffodils but most were tulips. Only problem was they didn't have them sorted by color or type at all. So, I just planted them, hoping a mixed tulip garden would look good. I think it turned out pretty good, even though I usually like tulips planted in clumps or drifts of the same variety.

Here's an unusual tulip from that batch:

How about some pansies?

{{gwi:204858}}

Following the advice in the book Temple Square Gardening, I planted pansies in October (not seed -- from six packs). Sure enough, they live right through winter and start blooming their heads off in March. They made an nice underplanting for the tulips. In fact, I found this article pulled right from Temple Square Gardening for a post I made in another forum today.

And one of my absolute favorite things in my garden -- Granny Smith apple blossoms:

{{gwi:204859}}

Anyway, if you want to see more pics, check out my personal garden blog at www.valleygardens.com/blog. I plan to post some new photos this weekend.

Songbird also mentioned our lil guy -- he's doing fantastic! Three weeks old today and still not too bad of a cryer. He's such a cute little buddy! If you saw my other post about him, you may have seen the photos on my family site already, but if not, click the link. I'll post a few newer photos there soon (because of course, he just keeps getting cuter every day!).

Comments (9)

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

The yellow tulip with red streaks looks amazing!

We missed out our first spring in Utah when we realized, as everyone else had flowers coming up, that planting time was fall the year before. Well, I take that back, we did have some crocus that had been planted (prior owner surprise) within our front lawn! This year, we got the bulbs in, but our red bulbs came in mixed red, yellow, and red/yellow. Is that partially determined by the type of soil? Also, the northwest facing bed in the front yard is barely in full bloom (everyone south facing was blooming weeks before us in Highland)and the north facing clusters are just starting to send up the flower.

My apples haven't yet started to blossom, but your Granny Smith looks amazing. What type of camera do you have, if I may ask, what resolution? You mentioned it was a hobby of yours, so I don't have hopes of taking similar pictures, but wow!

I thought I came across your explanation of how to post pictures before, but a reminder would be great. The instructions on the site didn't help me much. I've got the linking down (except how to add multiple links) but I'm still at a loss for pictures in the thread.

Thanks!

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

Nevermind, I found it here...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post...

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Cycler,

My camera was somewhat special when I got in 2001, but now there are lots of cooler ones I'd love to have! Mine's an Olympus C3030 with 3.2 megapixel resolution. Obviously, newer cameras have much higher resolution, but that only matters for print. Computer screen displays only need 72 pixels-per-inch resolution, which any old digital camera can create at the size we usually view online photos. What is nice about this camera is being able to set shutter speeds or aperture sizes manually or in partially automatic mode.

Anyway, I'm trying to convince DW that we need a digital SLR. She's actually almost there, but with the costs of a new baby and all, it's going to have to wait.

And hey, since your name is cycler, I wonder -- have you ever ridden the Alpine Loop (from AF Canyon to Provo/Sundance Canyon) while the road is still closed to cars? I'm going to do that with a friend next week. They keep the gates closed until Memorial Day weekend, so once the snow has melted, it's supposed to be a great road bike ride without the darn cars threatening your survival! I'll plan to take some photos, too, although the trees may still be bare up that high.

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

We were thinking of doing a ride tonight. Probably not that one thought. My DW just got a road bike a week or so ago, so she's just starting. I started out through peer pressure from co-workers a few years ago for the MS-150. I went up AF Canyon with a neighbor once, but we turned around at one point when a storm started coming in. Sounds like a fun ride, especially without the fear of being run over! My neighbor did it last summer, but I had something else going on. Last summer, I did most rides between the crack of dawn and when it is socially acceptable to start mowing your lawn. We have yet to figure out how to tow along three kids, but our son is still too young for a trailer.

I think I need to grab my wife's camera and start experimenting. We returned one, probably from around 2002, and upgraded when we moved here. I think it's the Minolta Z6 Dimage, but my DW is usually the one taking pictures. That is, before I realized I could start posting pictures of the garden and getting advice!

• barb422
    16 years ago

Those are wonderful spring pictures. The pansies do make a nice carpet for the tulips. I think I will have to try that.

The apple blossom picture is gorgeous!

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

Here are some attempts  hopefully, the drop in quality is thanks to auto-focus and not ever reading the user manual.

Here is a bed of "red" tulips

Here is a link that might be useful: If the images don't load, they are located here..

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Cycler, I looked at the source code for your posting, and it looks like you put a quote mark at the beginning of the URL to the picture, but you didn't close the quote. That's part of the problem. But it also looks like the URL wouldn't work even if that were fixed. There is something about either how blogger handles your uploaded images or how you named them that just isn't working as an external link (I tried recreating the link but it won't work). Maybe blogger has some help you can access that tells how to link to your blogger-hosted images from an external site.

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

Looks like I need to look somewhere else as the original host for my pictures....although I should probably take better ones first!

Someone's comment from their help forum:
    Images hosted at "their site> have always been restricted to showing only on "their site>. They block any other site from pulling them in (probably by referrer).

A few months ago, I noticed that you could include them on other sites (without any word from "their site>), if they've stopped, then it was probably in error that they worked at all. So in general, using "their site> as a photo host is only good for your blog. Maybe provide a link to your post or use another photo hosting service if you want to include them other places.

Any suggestions?

• stevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, good news! A similar topic is on the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum, and I just did some quick investigating and found out the new version of Google's Picasa has a wonderful online photo sharing tool with free web hosting of your photos. Check out the discussion at the link below (and you'll see a link to some more photos of my baby!):

Here is a link that might be useful: RMG discussion on photo sharing

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz