Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Fruit Organically

Posted by crossover 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 15:47

I am trying to grow apples, apricots, and pears organically. I have read that using traps to control apple maggots and coddling moths can be an effective control. I have tried to find the traps locally but have had no luck so far. The specific traps I am looking for are red spheres for the apple maggots and a pheromone based coddling moth trap. Does anybody know of a local supplier of these items? I can get them online, but if there is a local supplier I would prefer to support them. Also, if anybody has experience using these and can tell me how effective they are I would like to know. I would also appreciate any general advice on growing fruit organically.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Fruit Organically

I'll be really interested in hearing your experience this fall after you've harvested this year's crops. I've wanted to stop using pesticides on my fruit, but I feel like I'll lose so much fruit that I'd be sorely disappointed. Last year, I was lax about spraying pesticide on my cherries and only sprayed them once, in the middle of the growing season. I regretted it. I started popping them in my mouth without looking for worms just because they *taste so darn good that way* and I couldn't resist. But then after cutting a bunch open, I found that 40% of them had little white worms, and the only way I could stand to eat them was to cut each one open, one at a time, remove the worms and put the cut cherries in a bowl in the fridge. It's just not the same as popping a fresh, whole cherry in your mouth!

Anyway, if you can develop a better track record than that without pesticides, I'd certainly be interested in following your example.

o

I don't have trees mature enough to produce anything quite yet. However, I've read in the Fruit forum (although they overall agree with Steve that it's pretty hard to have a good crop organically), there have been many discussions about bagging fruit. I believe you start when the fruit is about the size of a nickel, and then you take it off when most of the danger of infestation has passed. There are a bunch of different media used, ranging from paper lunch bags, ziplock bags, to those little footies that are also used as socks when people try on shoes (they aren't used, by the way). A mini-discussion is going on here:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0400030418546.html?9

We'll see if this is the year I get any production. Another thing you could do, as far as informational, is subscribe to the USU IPM weekly email for fruit trees. I love seeing the pictures and following the stages of development to compare to my own trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: USU IPM

o

Thanks for the support. I'm pretty new to this so I could crash and burn. Maybe I can be a good counter-example. I will put a link to a site that has been a wealth of information for me below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lost Nation Orchard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here