Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Question for Arctictropical

Hi Kevin,

I know you sell a lot of cannas to Valley Nursery. I was just wondering if you sold them the Tropical Rose variety? I am looking to buy some pink, orange and yellow cannas and am not sure which ones I want to get. Any suggestions for these colors. I want some that look really hot and tropical! Any suggestions?

Thanks, Linda

Comments (4)

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

Hi Linda! Yes, I sold them some Tropical Rose. However, I understand the typical Tropical Rose has green leaves. Mine have burgundy leaves with a rose pink flower. The plant is considered dwarf. It usually grows between 3 and 4 feet tall. I hope this is what you were looking for. I hope your banana cannas and elephant ears do well. It was great seeing you a couple of weeks ago!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kevin, I was really fun to come up there and see your yard! Kathy and Alan were very impressed with the palm boxes, I'm sure they will be trying that next winter. It was so nice of you to give me so many banana cannas and elephant ears! I am really excited to see the banana cannas grow! I did want to ask you a question about the Voodoo Lily, is yours planted in full sun or does it get shade? I did plant mine and it is growing.

I love the Tropical Rose canna with burgundy leaves, I will have to get some of that one! Have you ever grown "Pretoria" or "Stuttgardt"? I just got some of both to try and I saw a old posting on the Canna Forum showing someone was growing Stuttgardt in a pond and it was so cool looking! Really big and impressive! I think my pond is too small for it but I could plant it in a pot without a drainage hole.

Have you started planting your cannas yet? I think I may start planting this weekend. Hopefully the weather will stay good!

Thanks again!
    Linda

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

Hi Linda! It was great seeing you! the Voodoo Lily grows in semi-shade or full sun. It's not very picky. It really reproduces itself, so in no time you should have a good size clump of them. They like good soil with humus. Don't be surprised when it blooms if you think a cat has died in your flower bed from the smell of the flowers. Yes, I grow Pretoria, Stuttgardt and Tropicana. Stuttgardt does burn easily, so I grown it in semishade. It snowed yesterday in Cache Valley. I think I will wait another week before planting anything. So much for global warming. Happy gardening!

• Nate A
    9 years ago

Hello Arctictropical

years ago I helped you get some bamboo from an acquaintance of mine in Layton. I am looking for some advice on growing palms outdoors in Draper. I am not sure how to contact you through Houzz I can't seem to find a contact or send email like they had on Garden Web. Anyhow if you know how to message me back or if you need to just follow up to this post I would appreciate it.

Nate