Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sf_mia

What are you growing in your garden this year?

sf_mia
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to Northern Utah. We moved here in december. We were from San Diego where the growing season is year round. Since I am not in a permanent place I am growing in containers this year.

So far I have 3 tomato plants and some lettuce/spinach starts going. I also have a bush cucumber plant started and some mammoth sunflowers. It's all trial for me as I have not grown in this climate before.

What are you guys growing this year? I am curious to see what variety is grown here in Utah.

Comments (9)

• kentnsue
    10 years ago

Tomatoes peppers and onions are always staples for our salsa. Beans and vine crops (pumpkin, watermelon, cantalope, squash) do well during the heat of the summer. About august I will plant the cool weather crop for fall = broccoli, cabbage, peas, lettuce, etc.

• zhoen
    10 years ago

Tomatoes, sweet peas, parsley. Just starting the green onions, as I'm told they are vigorous to the point of taking over here. Mint and lemon balm came up from last year. Sunflowers getting huge. Only my second year gardening at all, ever. But I have a friend with a market garden farm going for her Master Gardener certification, I've been picking her brains.

• laurie143
    10 years ago

Hi, I am growing sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers, Hungarian wax peppers and anahime peppers, potatoes, corn, cantelope, watermelon, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes mini and large, bush beans, radishes, and slice and pickle cucumbers. All are doing well right now.

• dm_kelly
    10 years ago

I had an incredibly productive garden this year with 12 different varieties of tomatoes, probably 20 varieties of peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, squash, melons, beets, potatoes, kale, and herbs. There has been a real learning curve with mountain gardening! Every year I learn a little bit more.

• gardenlax
    10 years ago

I made a big list (mostly for myself so I can remember next year) but seems like I could share it here :)

I like to try all sorts of things. Some I know about, some I donâÂÂt.

I put the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I am planting this year in my garden.

• abq_bob
    9 years ago

I'm doing a landscape project at my sister's house this year - it's new construction, so there is absolutely nothing in the yard except weed grasses, a few apple trees lining the road, a lone peony and tiny iris clump - left-overs/survivors from before the construction began.

I'm in Sevier county, so had to bring in all of my starts that had been hardening off outside for the past week or so due to the hard freeze last week and forecast hard freeze tonight (GRRR!).

What I've got going so far:
    Amaranthus caudatus (Love Lies Bleeding)
    Borage
    Hyacinth Bean
    Cypress Vine
    German & Roman Chamomile
    Cumin
    Wormwood Absinthe
    False Indigo
    Threadleaf coreopsis
    Foxglove
    Sky Pilot (Phacelia sericea - this grows wild on the foothills & mountains here)

She's hoping for a chamomile/creeping thyme lawn, and I as a home brewer, I'm hoping to plant some hops vines as well. I've got a ton of other seeds to consider.

She's not much of a gardener, so I'm thinking easy, obnoxious even, plants:
    Evening Primrose
    Breadseed Poppy
    Oregano
    Mint
    Sweet Pea
    Blue Flax
    Dill
    Larkspur
    California Poppy
    Iris

And the list goes on :)

• jonathanpassey
    9 years ago

Hi all. Glad to see the Utah forum getting a bit of traffic. I'll have to check back more often.

@GardenLax, I Like your list with pictures. Looks great.

@abq_bob, I know nothing about ornamental plants or landscaping, just vegetables. But I am trying herbs this year and have a few that are also on your list.

I am in PG and i have these Growing in my garden:

Carrots
    spinach
    cutting lettuce
    beets
    kennebec potatoes
    cucumbers
    cantelope
    spaghetti squash
    field pumpkins
    butternut squash
    zuchini
    crookneck summer squash
    sugar snap peas
    garlic
    onions
    8 varieties of tomatoes.
    6 varieties of peppers
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    Kale
    pole beans
    and lots of herbs

I inconsistently post pictures of my garden at jonathanpassey.com

Here is a link that might be useful: jonathanpassey.com

• sf_mia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing everyone. Last year my tomatoes did pretty good but I only got one Cucumber from my plant.

This year In containers I have:
    3 Roma Tomato plants
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1 Pickling cucumber
    1 Honey dew
    4 Jalapenos
    1 Serrano
    1 Lime Thyme
    1 Rosemary
    1 Goji Berry
    3 Mammoth Sunflowers
    1 Tomatillo Verde

Everything was from the nursery nearby except the Mammoth Sunflowers were from seed. I have the cucumber in the same container as the sunflowers with the idea that the cucumber will climb up the stalks of the sunflowers. We shall see how that goes. The tomatillo is new to me, I thought I would try it this year. Although I have read that I might need another one so that they can pollinate each other. So far lots of flowers but I don't see any fruits. :(

• zhoen
    9 years ago

New year, much of the same stuff as last. Tomatoes and peas, Anaheims and jalepeños. Getting a few tiny strawberries. The spinach and lettuce are infested with leaf miners. Green onions, leeks, lemon balm and mint, lavender and thyme came back. And sunflowers, masses of sunflowers. Too much, but nothing else was growing over there, and even they have a lot of leaves chewed up, so we wait and see.

Tried California poppy seeds, but none have appeared.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone