Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you growing in your garden this year?

Posted by sf_mia 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 2:05

Hi all,

I'm new to Northern Utah. We moved here in december. We were from San Diego where the growing season is year round. Since I am not in a permanent place I am growing in containers this year.

So far I have 3 tomato plants and some lettuce/spinach starts going. I also have a bush cucumber plant started and some mammoth sunflowers. It's all trial for me as I have not grown in this climate before.

What are you guys growing this year? I am curious to see what variety is grown here in Utah.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you growing in your garden this year?

Tomatoes peppers and onions are always staples for our salsa. Beans and vine crops (pumpkin, watermelon, cantalope, squash) do well during the heat of the summer. About august I will plant the cool weather crop for fall = broccoli, cabbage, peas, lettuce, etc.

o

Tomatoes, sweet peas, parsley. Just starting the green onions, as I'm told they are vigorous to the point of taking over here. Mint and lemon balm came up from last year. Sunflowers getting huge. Only my second year gardening at all, ever. But I have a friend with a market garden farm going for her Master Gardener certification, I've been picking her brains.

o

Hi, I am growing sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers, Hungarian wax peppers and anahime peppers, potatoes, corn, cantelope, watermelon, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes mini and large, bush beans, radishes, and slice and pickle cucumbers. All are doing well right now.

o

I had an incredibly productive garden this year with 12 different varieties of tomatoes, probably 20 varieties of peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, squash, melons, beets, potatoes, kale, and herbs. There has been a real learning curve with mountain gardening! Every year I learn a little bit more.

o

I made a big list (mostly for myself so I can remember next year) but seems like I could share it here :)

I like to try all sorts of things. Some I know about, some I don’t.

I put the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: What I am planting this year in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here