Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libbyliz_gw

'Tree' weed?

LibbyLiz
16 years ago

Every year this time something pops up in my lawn & I don't know what in the world it is!

The somewhat velvety leaves off "branches" are almost oak-shaped & a light grayish-green color.

The "trunk" has a tap root that's easily pulled straight out of the ground.

I've never seen it flower, maybe because I don't let it go that far.

Comments (10)

• cyclewest
    16 years ago

I need to do some research myself on this topic. I've seen many starts of some type of 'tree' in flowerbeds, and I believe a neglected one of the same variety has established itself over the years in a window well of a basement window. I was debating moving it somewhere else (it seems like a small clump of woody trees) or just taking it out to prevent damage from a tree in such a small space close to the house.

Stevation gave me a link for some pocket guides and a web application hosted by the National Arbor Day Foundation at the link (May 11 - currently the bottom of the discussion):

Here is a link that might be useful: brief ID a tree discussion and links

• stevation
    16 years ago

I don't know what Libby's is, but Cycler, you just might be dealing with Siberian Elms. They plant themselves all over in my flowerbeds, and I'm always ripping them out. If you get them early, they pull out OK, but leave them for months and they're nearly impossible to remove. They just recently sent their seeds all over the valley -- the whitish disks you might have seen floating down all over the roads in some places. That's probably what's in your window well, at least I'd think so from my experience with this weed tree!

• tweedbunny
    16 years ago

libbyliz,
    I think I have the same darn thing in my lawn! I've never seen this weed in my mom's yard though. I'll try and take a pic and post it here. Is the 'trunk' of it kind of pink or red? Mine is.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I took a picture of one pulled & need to take one in-ground before I mow. I figure I'll post them too just in case your weed is different than mine.

Yes, I think the trunk is pinkish.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1321990}}
    {{gwi:1321992}}

• tweedbunny
    16 years ago

I never took a pic so I'm glad you posted yours and YEP! Thats the SAME one I have all over in my lawn. I sat outside for a good few hours the other day and plucked most of the big ones with my dandelion digger. Maybe we should ask in the 'Weeds' forum - I'm sure someone there would know.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I lost my pictures when I went & messed with a good thing at PhotoBucket! =(

I hope I can take more pictures - I don't know if I have any of these weeds left.

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"Well, I lost my pictures when I went & messed with a good thing at PhotoBucket! =("

What do you mean? I still see the pictures you linked, so they're still there. If you mean that you don't have your local copies anymore, you can click on the pictures above to get the larger versions of them, then right click and save as to get a local copy.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't see anything above & when I clicked on the little "painting" squares I got "page not found" & told to sign into PhotoBucket. *SCRATCHING HEAD*

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Hmm. I get the same thing now.

I tried googling the filename (DSC00557.jpg) but got over 17,000 results.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz