Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Full Sun Partial Sun

Posted by zobeed z5 UT (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 10:41

I keep hearing and reading that when a plant says "full sun" in the planting instructions, it really means "partial sun" in Utah's climate. Is that true? Are our summers that brutal that so called full sun plants do better in part sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Full Sun Partial Sun

I don't know if that's true in general, but I know that most people consider Kentucky bluegrass to require full sun, and it does a lot better in my shaded back yard than in my sunny front yard.

o

It depends on the plant but for sure, most of the time the answer to your question is yes.
Our elevation increases the UV exposure and to many plants, it's too much.
It can be a complicated question though, because in addition to our increased solar radiation, we also have more alkaline soil and less humidity than most other places.

o

Full sun means 6 or more hours of sun each day. For grasses KBG is a bad choice for utah! A fescue or rye grass is a much better choice as they use less water and stand up to the dry heat we have here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here