Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
core_gw

Best bush to use for privacy hedge

core
15 years ago

Our HOA does not allow privacy fence so we have opted to grow a hedge along our back property line which borders a road. We want to maintain it at a height of about 5' and keep it as narrow as possible but still have it not easily seen through. The hedge will be 110' long so we need something that is resonably priced.

Any suggestions on the best type of bush to use?

Comments (5)

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

Evergreen or deciduous? For evergreens, you're limited a little by our climate. You didn't mention how much sun it will get but I'm assuming a new subdivision and full sun.

Also, you need to keep in mind that the more narrow the plant, the more plants it will take to complete the hedge. I just did a landscape plan for a large estate. The 120' hedge of Columnar Hick's Yew (it's in shade) on 2 foot centers at $100 per plant, well, you can see how expensive that gets fast.

Some less costly shrubs that should work for you would be Juniper or Aborvitae. There are a lot of different varieties that would work but I'd look for 'Witchita Blue' Juniper or 'DeGroot's Spire' Aborvitae. If you are buying them all at once, you might be able to have a nursery order them in for you and negotiate a wholesale price since you'll be buying so many. Retail price on a 2', 2 gallon size DeGroot's Spire at Glover Nursery is $24. You could also do a 'Graham Blandy' Boxwood.

For deciduous shrubs, you have more options, some of which include 'Fine Line' Buckthorn, 'Helmond Pillar' Barberry.

I would really encourage you to do a mix of shrubs. It will be more interesting over time and more forgiving if something happens to some of the shrubs. If you do all evergreens in a straight line, you risk 'missing tooth' syndrome WHEN (not if) a plant dies. Vary your line so it's not perfectly straight and a mix of a couple different shrubs and it will all look good.

• stevation
    15 years ago

Someone in my town (Cedar Hills) made a backyard "fence" out of very closely planted Peking Cotoneasters. They have let them grow very tall (maybe 8-10') but trimmed their side growth to stay narrow. It's working. But these are deciduous, so it's more open in the winter, although they are planted so close that the intertwining branches do provide some barrier even in winter.

I would also think you could get some good use out of laurels. They're evergreen but broad-leaved, which is rare in this climate. My plain English Laurels are wanting to grow quite tall, and I need to trim them back down to 4' or so. I also have some 'Otto Luyken' Laurels that seem more vigorous, but they don't grow so tall. More spreading and 2-3' tall. When I say they're more vigorous, it's because some of the English Laurels get a slight yellowing in the leaves, but I think that's pretty common for them.

• cyclewest
    15 years ago

We have English Laurels. Most are at about 4 feet, with some over six feet tall, maybe two or three feet wide. We've had a lot of die back, not sure if it was the cold or lack of watering/fertilization. My neighbors and I are going to tag team them into shape so they are consistently the same height, and I'm going to put a programmer on my soaker hose to get them watered. Other than that, they are evergreen, very thick, nice smell when in bloom. I'm hoping we (and the Laurels) will be much happier when we start giving them the attention they deserve.

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

All broadleaf evergreens struggle a bit with the dryness of our climate. The dry winter winds pull the moisture out of the plant through the leaves (desicating). To maintain their health, they need some protection- meaning not in the direct path of wind OR in full sun. Laurels in full sun will go downhill quickly. Also, in the winter, you need to water them once per month unless we have snowmelt. If there's no snow OR the snow stays continuously frozen, water your evergreens.

• gingerflower
    15 years ago

My parent's neighbors have red twig dogwood that are very very tall and keep them very private from the street. They are gorgeous year long, but I don't know just how long it takes them to grow. Good luck!

Sponsored