Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary

Posted by wfpineda none (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:59

Anybody have luck keeping rosemary through the winter? I keep having to replace it in the spring (in a pot). Thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary

i planted rosemary for the first time this year in a pot. I expect that it isn't hardy enough for our winter. i hope to bring it inside during the winter although some folks have a hard time getting it to survive that way too.

there may some places in salt lake valley that are warm enough (the city retains heat and stays several degrees warmer at night than other areas). especially if you planted it near a south facing brick wall (the brick wall will act as a thermal battery).

But i think your experience is normal. Washington DC is warmer than most of northern Utah (although it looks like some spots in Salt Lake Valley may be similar) and the national arboretum only has a few cultivars that consistently over-winter (see link). I haven't seen any seed companies advertising those varieties, but i would be interested in trying any of them if I could get a cutting or seed.

Best of Luck

jon

Here is a link that might be useful: National Arboretum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here