Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with landscaping under/ around scrub oak trees

Posted by abbeyw Ut (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 18:22

Hello- I'm new to this forum, but we are doing some re-landscaping on our house and thought this would be a good place to get some questions answered. The house had been vacant for a few years, and yard sorely neglected. We have quite a large grove of scrub oak trees that I love. I was thinking of putting in a shade garden under the trees, but I'm a bit worried about all the new growth of scrub oak that pops up everywhere. Will the scrub oak strangle any new plants? I was thinking of putting in hostas, daylillies, ferns, and periwinkle for starters. How do you keep the scrub oak under control without losing the mature trees or damaging new plants? What are some plants that have thrived in a scrub oak bed? I got a tip today that hostas should be planted in double containers in the ground due to the root problems with the scrub oak. Has anyone successfully grown hostas without containers under scrub oak? any experience with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with landscaping under/ around scrub oak trees

Although I have lived in neighborhoods with scrub oak I have never had any in my yard :(
Vinca major grows very well under scrub oak and can get carried away. You may want to consider the smaller flowered periwinkle Vinca minor. I would not expect daylilies to do well because they like sun. If it was me I would try planting the hostas directly in the ground and see how they do. Some other plants that may do well are columbine, coral bells, spiderwort, and brunnera. Plant them a few feet away from the scrub oak if possible, allowing the plants to spread closer on their own.
Poison Ivy also does well under scrub oak.

o
RE: Help with landscaping under/ around scrub oak trees

I've seen Hosta grow under scrub oak. Ostrich ferns are pretty vigorous. Bishops weed will grow under it, but don't know if ya want to unleash that beast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here