Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my lawn!

Posted by ajc44b none (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 18:55

I recently purchased a foreclosed house in Central Utah. It appears as though the lawn was not watered at all for a least one hot summer. My grass is completely dead. There are a few spots in the back yard on the nirth side of the house that have some new grass coming up but nothing in the front. I do not want to have to re-sod or take the old sod out to reseed. I was told the previous owners had a great lawn. Would if help to aerate the lawn and put down some seed now, and then again in the fall, and perhaps again next spring? Is it to late to do this since it is may? Should I just water it more after I seed it? I really would like grass to come in. Please advise on what to do. I have a sprinkler system already installed...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my lawn!

We had all weeds in our backyard when we bought the place June of 08'. We didnt start working on the lawn back there until spring 09'. My husband mowed it all down (as if it was grass), we watered, overseeded, fertilized and used weed killer for the summer of 09' and 10' This year we have a gorgeous lawn.

If I were you I would airrate, overseed, use a starter fertilizer and water. Overseed again in the fall. Keep up on fertilizer, weed killer and water. Overseeding in the spring and fall you should have a nice lawn in no time at all.

o
RE: Help with my lawn!

I wouldn't use a starter fertilizer because the soil around here generally has plenty of P and K. I wouldn't fertilize at all until the fall, unless you're using something really slow release like an organic fertilizer. If you have a starbucks handy, stop in and get their grounds for the garden and spread them around the lawn (no more than 1/4-1/2 inch deep). That will add a small amount of nitrogen and also encourage worms and increase the organic content of the soil.

I'd seed ASAP, but you may need to seed again in the fall since it's likely to be getting hot by the time your seed gets started this spring/summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here