Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much yield should we expect for our different plants?

Posted by daninlogan (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 23:59

We are planning how many of each plants to put in our garden, but aren't quite sure about how successful different plants will be in northern Utah. Does anyone know how much yield to expect for a single plant of each of these?

Beans (how many beans per plant?)
Peas "
butternut squash (how many squash per plant?)
cherry tomatoes "
cucumbers
carrot
peppers

How many pounds do you think each of these plants will yield of veggies?

broccoli
cauliflower
watermelon

Thanks!! :)
cauliflower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much yield should we expect for our different plants?

This is a very complex question because the answer depends on so many variables.

Beans - pole or bush, variety, green of dry.

Cukes - salad or pickling, trellis or on the ground, some have all female flowers, germination is always an issue with cukes.

The seed catalogs can help a little with things like the number of squash per plant. Many of the things on your list however are more difficult.

The other thing is the number of crop failures you get. I have been gardening for over 30 years and every year something doesn't work. Despite best intentions. Last year my yield of parsnips was zero because I couldn't get them to germinate. If you plant enough some of it will work and pleasantly surprise you.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

o

Hmm, my seed packages don't give the info on yields. I was thinking that if I had too many of some plants, I should give them away to friends, but I have no idea. For instance, I have 10 tomato plants, 10 broccoli, 2 cucumber, 1 pepper, 4 lettuce heads, ...

o

Utah state has a great publication for this. They give recommend row lengths and number of seeds for a family of five. Here is the link

http://www.co.utah.ut.us/Dept/Exten/Data/vegetableutah.pdf

I have all kinds of information like this on my blog if you are interested

www.vegenag.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here