Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn7ut

Flowering Trees

lynn7ut
15 years ago

While visiting the Salt Lake area this past weekend, my daughter and I noticed several flowering trees around Jordan Landing. Some had pink blossoms and others had white.

I'm hoping someone here will be able to identify these trees for us.

My daughter lives in West Jordan and would like to plant 2 or 3 flowering trees in her back yard. We were thinking of planting Purple Robe Locust until she saw the trees at Jordan Landing. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• gromitsmom
    15 years ago

I've never seen them at Jordan's Landing, but my guess would be a flowering crabapple. The one I have starts out pink and then fades to white, and it's been in full bloom for about two weeks. Mine, 'Red Jade Weeping Crab', is only about 15 feet tall, but there's lots of different varieties.

• stevation
    15 years ago

In addition to crabapples, which are blooming well around now, you may have seen some flowering cherries. Flowering plums are also popular around here, but their blooms pretty much faded a few weeks ago.

This was my flowering plum a few weeks ago:

Here's a closeup from a Kwanzan cherry (also called Kanzan -- I should have a new photo showing the whole tree in a day or two, since they're in full bloom right now):

Here's one of my crabapples from last year (it's the Prairiefire variety):
    {{gwi:284256}}

• stevation
    15 years ago

OK, as promised, here is a photo of on of our Kwanzan cherry trees:

Even though the individual blossoms are a little too "froofy" for my tastes, the trees look good and provide some nice spring color. They look good even when not in bloom, too.

Here's the "froof" up close:

• lynn7ut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your help and photos. Stevation, your trees are beautiful! After viewing your photos, I think the pink flowering trees we saw may have been flowering crabapples.
    We don't see too many of these down in the southern part of the state. Purple Robe Locust are very popular flowering trees here, and Redbuds seem to do well also.

• dee333
    15 years ago

Oh the trees and photos are very very pretty as well as the rest of your yd...would love to see more.
    dee-soaking up all the knowledge of my new home I can

• stevation
    15 years ago

Dee,

It's nice to have you here! I hope you have success getting used to growing in Utah. I haven't lived down your way, so I don't know if it's a lot more challenging for gardening than up here in Utah Valley.

Up here, I think the climate is better for gardening than what I had in the Sacramento area -- there it got so hot in the summer that many great garden perennials just didn't survive the heat well, even though the warmer winters would be good for them.

I find Utah Valley to be a tremendous place for growing flowers, fruit trees, and even the bluegrass grows better than in northern California. I suppose Sacramento was better for tomatoes and corn, since they love the heat. We didn't call it Sacratomato for nothing!

Sponsored