Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
preciousamy

On a chilly day in June....

preciousamy
16 years ago

I live in Utah County, zone 5. And its COLD! June 6th and 48 degrees. BRRRR! Should I worry about my vegetable crop, mainly my tomatoes and peppers? If so, what should I do to protect them? Please Help, I'm a first time gardener, and not sure what to do. Thank you in advance!

Keep Smiling, Amy :)

Comments (5)

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

You only need to worry if it's likely to drop below freezing. 48 is cold for June, but it's not cold enough to kill the tomatoes and peppers. If it's going to drop near freezing, covering the plants with an inverted pot (if you have one large enough) or even loosely covering with newspaper held down by some dirt near the ground (sort of like making a tent for the plants) should help keep them warm. If it gets cold enough, there's nothing that's very practical to keep them from freezing.

• preciousamy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, bpgreen!
    Yes, it is COLD for June! ;) I guess, I will let my plants be for the night... They all look okay, except for my summer squash and zuke transplants, I think the wind really beat them up. They are limp and look awful. :(

Happy Gardening, Amy :)

• spyfferoni
    16 years ago

Dang! It has been cold! It seems every year this time it is cold and rainy. We have Art City Days here in Springville and it is always miserable the first couple of days, if not the whole time. Last year we did have a frost and even though I covered everything the best I could several of my tomatoes suffered. Everything looks good today though---Phew! Remember the hail we had last year too? I guess things are too bad this year.

Tyff

• stevation
    16 years ago

I remember hail last year on Memorial Day weekend. I had just planted a tomato plant that Saturday, and it was promptly beat to a pulp by hail Sunday morning. I went and bought a new one on Monday, and everything was fine after that!

I also remember the June in 2005 was really wet and cold. We kept trying to go boating and canceled most of our June outings because of cold rain and chances of lightning. That was a short summer for lake fun!

• woco
    16 years ago

Cedar City got down to freezing for 2 nights. I lost both of my pepper plants which was expected because I can not grow peppers anyway. I just keep on trying every year and I usually end up with 3 or 4 peppers. I also lost half of my green beans. I have 3-35' rows. I just replanted them. Also lost about half of my squash so I replanted them. I have 5-50' rows of squash, pumpkins, and melons. My potatoes all got a little frost bite but I think that they will be ok. It is just part of what we go through every year when we try to get things going early.

Bill

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals