Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great 'Privacy' trees for narrow areas

Posted by paula_rose UT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 18:53

Hi There,

We recently moved into the Canyon Rim area and found that our neighbors are able to see into our backyard from their back porch (where they like to spend a lot of time). We like our privacy and were wondering what were some good trees that can grow in a somewhat narrow area....we have a very long strip of planting area but the width is only aboout 5 feet..We'd like something that wont grow too 'wide' so its not in their yard too, but that can provide us with a lot of privacy and will stay that way long term. Hope this isnt too much of a messy message, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great 'Privacy' trees for narrow areas

Swedish aspens will grow fast and in a narrow, columnar shape. Mine are about 30' tall after six years of growth. Only about 5' wide. They can send out some suckers (sprouts off of the roots) but not as many as traditional quaking aspens.

There are plenty of other columnar trees, including maples and oaks, but they probably don't grow as fast as these aspens. The downside is that most fast-growing trees are shorter-lived than the slower trees. I think the Swedish aspens should live 20 years or so, which is plenty long for a typical homeowner's tenure in a home. But if you want to plant permanently for future generations, pick a maple or oak.

These are all deciduous, so they don't provide much privacy in winter. You can also find some columnar evergreens, including firs, spruces, and pines, but I don't know them as well. A good local nursery should be able to help you pick the right tree, if you tell them the characteristics you want (how tall, how narrow, how fast it should grow, evergreen vs. deciduous, etc.).

o

paula_rose, how tall do they need to mature to in order to work for your situation? Are you hoping for evergreen or will a dense deciduous work? If a deciduous, relatively fast grower to 6'- 9'h. x 2'w. will work, I'd suggest you may want to look into Rhamnus frangula 'Fine Line'. This is the plant I will probably get for the same purpose. You could actually stager two rows in the narrow 5' area you have, to obtain even more privacy.

Crystal

o

I have known persons to plant at least two rows; a tall evergreen and a row of something like a Lombardi poplar. The poplar provides some coverage until the evergreen has time to establish itself then it is removed.

I have also know persons in Utah who get quite upset when the neighbor erects an obstruction to their view.

o

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
We're in talks with my in-laws landscaper to see if we can find something we really like...although i just read a previous thread on bamboo, we will look into that too.
We only need the growth to be about 8 ft. tall
Not to worry Albert135, we are not obstructing their view, as our yard runs east/west, the views are all of the mountains- east!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here