Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dori123_gw

Ideas for EASY fruit trees/bushes and nut trees, please?!

dori123
13 years ago

Ok, so I'm a newbie both to the forum and to gardening. Moved to an acre at 5300 feet and I'd like to fill up the side yard (on the east) with something we can eat.

So far, I'm thinking a Gala tree and Granny Smith tree (I understand they cross pollunate) and some sort of peach tree. (Recommendations?)

I've decided against a pecan and walnut -- I'd really love to plant these but I don't think I want trees that big over there. I haven't been able to find any dwarf versions of either.

Instead, I'd like to do some fruit-bearing shrubs. So far, I've narrowed it to Red Raspberry, Western Huckleberry (aka Mountain blueberry?) and Blue Elderberry. Any suggestions? I hear blueberries are finicky here, though we would certainly eat those before the rest.

Which varieties do well at this altitude and are low maintenance? We do have a drip system.

Also, is this just futile, since the mule deer will eat them all anyway?! :0

Comments (2)

• bcreighton7
    13 years ago

"So far, I'm thinking a Gala tree and Granny Smith tree (I understand they cross pollunate) and some sort of peach tree. (Recommendations?)" The Gala tends to get fireblight. It's parent, Yellow Delicious apparently does better. No recommendations for peach other than get an early and a late variety.

"I've decided against a pecan and walnut -- I'd really love to plant these but I don't think I want trees that big over there." Pecan would have to be a northern variety.

"Instead, I'd like to do some fruit-bearing shrubs. So far, I've narrowed it to Red Raspberry, Western Huckleberry (aka Mountain blueberry?) and Blue Elderberry. Any suggestions?" Fine. Also thornless blackberry and boyensberry.

"I hear blueberries are finicky here, though we would certainly eat those before the rest." Much too alkaline for blueberries. You can try planting them in a large pot of peat, and watering with ditilled water or water and vinegar. Everyone I know who has tried has given up.

You will have to repel deer with bear dung, moving-clangy scare devices, protective dog, etc.

• brotherjake
    12 years ago

Something I have been looking into recently is the Evans Bali cherry tree. It will hold itself at around 20 ft or less, produces like crazy (100+ lbs once established) and gets mad if you try to baby it (low maintenance). It is considered a tart cherry, but if left to hang on the tree they sweeten to the point that they can be enjoyed fresh. Much like the romance cherries released from University of Saskatchewan.

Pears on the OHxF 333 rootstock will stay under 20 ft as well. Some varieties that are fireblight resistant are Warren (self fertile), Harrow Delight, Blakes Pride and Moonglow. These have good flavor and the last 3 will cross pollinate. Pears don't like too much babying either.

Apples get taken to the cleaners in Utah and by the time you get done spraying them for everything that will hassle them they will be less organic than store bought ones.

Most late blooming peaches from Dave Wilson Nursery on Citation rootstock will do fine. Citation will hold peaches/nectarines to 15 ft and does well in the heavy soil we have here. Check bloom times and find a late bloomer. I am playing with Indian Free, O'henry and Spice Zee. You can also get dwarf peaches and nectarines that will only Beautiful for edible landscaping.

Hope these ideas help.

Sponsored