Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woco_gw

How is everyone doing?

woco
16 years ago

I know that we are all busy with weeding and watering but I just wanted to check in with everyone in Utah. For Father's Day I got a new Craftsman Tool Chest and 9 new fruit trees. The trees were half price so we got them for $12.99 each. Today I got up at five oclock and went fishing. I did not catch anything but at least I got out. Our corn is about 18" tall, the garlic leaves are starting to die, and we have been eating peas for 4 days now. Boy are they good. Even my four grand daughters that live here in Cedar can not wait to come over and pick peas. The only bad part of my day was when I hand watered my new trees and my squash plants. I found about 15 squash bugs. They are now dead in a pint jar with a lid on it that I put in the sun for them to get a tan. Life is pretty good. I hope that you are all doing well and that your gardens are growing.

Bill

Comments (8)

• stevation
    16 years ago

I'm doing well but taking it easy this year on veggie gardening, since it's tough to maintain all my big yard, flowers, shrubs, fruit trees, and so on while trying to give my wife some weekend breaks from constantly taking care of our baby son, who is only two months old. So, I haven't planted any veggies. I really wanted to grow peas earlier and corn, too, but I think I'll just get some tomatoes in the ground this weekend. I bought some fairly large tomato plants this week at Lowe's. I know it's a bit late, but I picked ones that were already flowering. One cherry and one larger tomato, as we usually like to do.

Earlier this year, I grew 250 flower seedlings in my basement, and most have been in the yard for over a month now, but I haven't decided where to put some Hibiscus moscheutos, which can get pretty large. Anyway, I have wondered several times these past few months why I thought I could handle so much flower gardening with a new baby coming this spring! But he's a fun baby, and we're happy. Can hardly keep his sisters' lips off of the little guy! At least he knows he's loved, eh?

I got my fishing license for Fathers' Day, and I'll be going out for smallmouth bass at Jordanelle on the 30th. Should be AWESOME!

Oh yeah, I should mention that this is the first year I've had more than five or six cherries to harvest! Our little trees are maybe three years old now, and we actually nearly filled a very large metal bowl with them. Yummmmmmmmy! Only problem is that in my busy-ness, I only got around to spraying them once, so about 10% of them have a little worm in them. We're slicing a lot open to inspect before we eat, but I'm also taking handfuls and just eating them without looking, because nothing beats the feeling of sweet cherry juice squirting all over in your mouth as you bite into them! A few worms won't kill me.

One more thing -- our Canby raspberries are coming ripe now, so we're REALLY enjoying them. They're our favorite food crop from our yard. Just love throwing a handful in some vanilla ice cream. Best thing on the planet! We also had a good flush of strawberries several weeks ago, and more will come soon, but the first wave is always the best.

• dereks
    16 years ago

Well, I'm loving this hot weather we are having. I know it's been dry, but this early warm spring we've had has been great. Summer just doesn't last long enough around here. I only do flower gardening, no veggies because I don't like them. Broccoli and corn is ok, I guess. The garden is doing great other than lots of grasshopper damage. I've lived in this house almost 15 years and I have never seen so many grasshoppers. I doubt I could grow vegetables if I wanted to. The grasshopper, earwigs, and snails would eat them all up.

• mary_max
    16 years ago

Sounds like everyone is having a wonderful summer. I too am enjoying it so much. I wish it would stay around for the entire year. I do not do vegtables in my garden either except for some tomatoes. I just thought I would try that this year. I am potting up trees, growing shrubs and already looking forward to fall when I can play in the garden from morning to night. I am out now in the very early hours and then later in the evenings. These hot day are too much for me. Worry about getting too much sun. The plants keep me busy with deadheading each and everyday. This is only my second year of gardening and I just love it!! Enjoy your rest of the summer time!!

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

I finally got tired of my old mower (since I couldn't get it started) and went around pricing mowers.

I gave my bad mower away, so I don't have any mower until tomorrow.

I do, however, have a very nice LCD TV. I'm not entirely sure how I looked for a mower and bought a TV, but it fits the entertainment center, so that's good.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Uh-oh. Hope the darn TV doesn't keep you out of the garden too much! Your friends here depend on your experience, bp!

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

I'd love to get a large screen HD LCD TV! And a working home theater system to replace the used one hubby bought that's missing a FM antenna for the stereo & a lot of the speakers are missing their mounts & need wired anyhow.

I haven't been outside much, at least in the back yard where the potted annuals & bedded perennials are because that's where I went to do my nasty habit that I quit officially on the 12th at 0:00 - actually before that on the 11th, but who's counting! :P

My lawn's been suffering. But it does that this time each year with or without my help. So oh well.

I have been doing 3-5 days a week 2-4 miles moderate to fast-paced walking through nicely "forested" areas & near ponds, & dieting. And if I can get my scaredy-butt to the gym to join in a Pilate's or boot camp exercise class that's where I'll be twice a week.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Libby, congrats on quitting! That's awesome. I know it must be hard, but please keep going -- you'll love the freedom!

• LibbyLiz
    16 years ago

It WAS hard & sometimes still is. The weekend I was gearing down to quit I think I had an anxiety or panic attack & was so depressed I thought I'd need committed.

I've been on medications to help me quit but every now & then I want one, but don't actually feel a crave. It's more like needing something to do or have in my hand & the habit of doing it.

And I can still smell them every now & then. I posted about this on Utah QuitNet & got a reply that some people experience such & it's the toxins leaving the lungs. I thought it was just hallucinations, which one of the drugs side effects is.

But I'm trying to keep busy to keep myself quit, but the busy-ness I need at times would make someone with a severe case of ADHD seem like they aren't!

And while hubby's in Iraq I refuse to drive 10+ hours to visit friends in Northern ID since they're chain smokers, go to smoking-allowed bars & have friends who smoke inside their own house, that we've visited, during their poker tournaments.

I also refuse to visit my parents in PA because they smoke inside & because listening to & talking with my dad is enough to cause me panic/anxiety & anger attacks.