Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcreighton7

Fruit & nut trees for home

bcreighton7
14 years ago

Hi everybody. I bought a new place last fall, and have 1/3 acre of plantable yard including a huge right of way.

So I would like suggestions on varieties that people have tried here:

1. Pear - currently planning to try Harrow's Delight and Potomac for high fruit quality and fire blight resistance.

2. Peach - I want a large delicious fruit with minimal problems (doesn't everybody?).

3. Plum - don't know. I had a Japanese red variety at my old place that was very sweet, and never seemed to have the curilio.

4. Hazelnut - I assume an improved variety.

5. Pistachio?

6. Hardy pecan - found a place that sells a reasonably good and hardy pecan. I know a tree in American Fork that produces. I am less windy and a tad warmer here. The trees will be planted on the south side of the house where the snow tends to melt off.

7. Have an unknown apple - probably Lodi - which I am still pruning fire blight out of.

8. Only tree I have planted is the Utah giant cherry. It is doing well.

Comments (3)

• ocimum_nate
    14 years ago

Where is the pecan tree. I live in AF and would like to see it.

• beth4
    14 years ago

Although you didn't list this, when I bought my house 20 years ago it came with an apricot tree. This tree has produced every year I've owned the house, except for a couple of years when everything got frozen. The past 5 years have had bumper crops of apricots. In fact, as I write this, my tree is exploding with apricots. I've given them away, eaten a bushel or more in smoothies, muffins, breads, and just out-of-hand, and this weekend we're making apricot ice cream.

The 'cots are much larger than what I see in Perry's "fruit way", and they're so juicy and sweet. Unfortunately, I don't know what variety I have.

So, you might want to consider adding an apricot to your plantings. I live in Ogden, and while my apricots were hailed on 3 times in June, the tree is just full of delicious fruit.

• brotherjake
    12 years ago

A couple of ideas that I have been considering for my yard that I'd be happy to share.

European plum: Gage type are supposed to have really good flavor and they are self-fertile. Japanese usually aren't.

Peach: If you find one that needs minimal maintenance, please let me know. Something to consider for size of both fruit and height is the rootstock. Dave Wilson peach trees come on Citation, which increases fruit size among other things. To my knowledge, all peaches need babying.

The large Apricot mentioned is likely to be a Moorpark. It is a large apricot and is purported to do well here.

Evans Bali Cherry: A tart cherry that will sweeten enough to enjoy fresh. I have heard that it can be processed, dried, made into syrup, preserves, etc. It should stay under 20 ft on its own, is very precocious for its size, and requires very little maintenance. I am planning to add this one to my yard next.

Spice Zee Nectaplum: A Dave Wilson hybrid, this tree is beautiful. I haven't tasted the fruit personally, but those who have say it is incredible. New growth is dark red and turns deep green. This causes a red on green contrast for most of the season.

All In One Almond: Nuts are sweet like California varieties, tree grows to about 15 feet and mine survived my dog chewing it to a stump. Stinky dog! It is hardy to zone 5.

Something to consider is multigraft fruit trees. If you get a 3-in-1 or a 4-in-1, generally they will ripen successively over the summer. This way you aren't inundated with fruit all at once.

Happy picking

Sponsored