Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
138 greenbean seeds! Need help!

Posted by fourtoomany (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 12:12

I planted 138 greenbean seeds in my longest garden box this year. My four really love home grown greenbeans. I was hoping to do some freezing also. They flowered but they don't seem to be growing green beans. It seems to me I should have been picking by now! I have wondered about to things that might be the problem. Now that the rain has died off, I water my garden boxes every three days. ( I did my backyard in garden boxes and patio). Or my husband caught a grasshopper/cricket last night. And wonder if that was the problem, I have seen quite a few of those this year! I sprayed but would the spray effect the grasshopper? Sorry I tried murphys oil soap and water for a more organic approach and it didn't work. Help! A 138 seeds, SIGH and no fresh greenbeans!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 138 greenbean seeds! Need help!

i live in central Utah at 5,500 feet so use that to compare with.

i had my first green beans the first of this week. Mmmm good!

it seem to take about two weeks from blossoms to beans.

to control all my bugs this year i am using Dichotomous earth. i don't see many big grasshoppers. i see little ones now and then but it seems to be keeping them down.

dichotomous earth is also called fossil flower. it is harmless to us larger type of mammals. it is very fine and very sharp and cuts the bugs and slugs so they lose there body fluids and die.

if you don't have beans in a week, then start to worry.

it's kind of like tomatoes. they stay green for the longest time.

good luck

WM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here