Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawsitive_gw

Iron County Fair

pawsitive_gw
15 years ago

Anyone from Cedar/Enoch entering anything in the fair? I have nothing in the crop department, but may have some sweet pea flowers. Grandson is entering the sunflower contest for kids. Anyone interested in a "get together" one day at the fair? Maybe set a daily meet time at the big tent by the fair building and anybody who can shows up? Just a thought.

Comments (5)

• psittacine
    15 years ago

pawsitive, that's a great idea! Would love to meet others in the area.

Been away from gardenweb for a while and just discovered this post. I am surprised that no one has put in an answer yet. Hope others have just been busy in the garden and will have time to take a break to meet.

Any suggestions for time, place and how we'll recognize each other ...and I'll be there.

Crystal

• pawsitive_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Spent the day catching up on my watering so didn't get to the computer until late last night. Took the grandson to the fair and carnival and to get 'fair food'. Not a lot of produce, but what was there was really nice. Since I live in Parowan, it's not hard for me to get up there. Pick a time and day, and I'll be there. I will wear a green "plays in the dirt" t-shirt, and probably a soft 'ball cap'. There is a small tent in the small parking lot in front of the fair building that is as good a meeting place as any. I have some in and out stuff to do today, but will check back periodically to see if anyone else responds. (ps, I signed up for the 5K run on Monday morning, parade day, so I know it will be a ZOO!) Anyone interested can go to the Iron Co Fair site. Tried to likn it but it said it was invalid, so it's www.ironcountyfair.net as stated in the booklet.

• gingerflower
    15 years ago

I went to the fair on Friday night too and it was really fun! Man I forgot how expensive it is, my husband and I tried not to think about the ten dollars it took every time they went on a ride. There is nothing like seeing a kid riding a ferris wheel for the first time though.

They did have some nice produce there, I liked the monster cabbage and cinderella pumpkin, I want to try them both next year. I was encouraged to see at least a few peaches, apples, and berries, and tried not to think about the fact that some people in the county actually have sandy loam (I certainly don't!) It's heavy on my mind right now how to improve the soil for next year's garden, as ours is pitifully unproductive. (I guess it's the soil, and the grasshoppers.)

Anyone else that goes--have fun!

Gingerflower

• pawsitive_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FYI for next year, they pre-sell booklets of tickets up until the fair opens at some of the merchants around Cedar and Parowan. 40 tickets for $15. Then the day the carnival opens, they have an unlimited rides wrist band for kids for $15. We try and take advantage of those, otherwise it's just waaay too expensive!!

• psittacine
    15 years ago

Looks like my brother & SIL might be coming up from St.G Monday. They usually come up so we can go to the fair the same day as the car show, which happens on Monday. He was in the hospital for a couple of weeks recently, so I don't know if he will be able to do the walking this year. Maybe he'll decide to come up today instead and leave Monday open.

Plan on that shirt/cap pawsitive! I don't know where that particular tent is, but I'll take directions with me. Should know in a few hours whats what and will leave a note here when I do. They may not even come up as SIL wasn't particularly well yesterday.

Gingerflower, though I have sandy loam mostly here, in WY we had the gooeyist clay soil. Though when we moved here I was happy to have sandy soil, now I THINK I'd rather had clay than sand. Though it needs structural/compositional help, clay is usually loaded with nutrients and holds water, which helps if you happen to live in the second driest state in the country. Everything has to be put into the sand.. and it 'sifts' down... has to constantly be renewed AND watered. It's a pain. I do admit that I didn't grow any fruit in Wy other than Americana type plums and strawberries. I know that you do need to try to purchase fruit on rootstock that will not suffocate in clay. We've put many TONS of compost, hay, manure, wood chips etc into the gardening areas here and still need plenty more. The correction for clay soil is the same. I did get tired of hauling everything in the wheelbarrow and got myself a nice big wagon a few years ago.... much easier most of the time! Hubby uses the lawn tractor with trailer, which can't usually go where I need it to.

Crystal

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz