Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Twisty Baby Locust

Is anyone growing the Twisty Baby Locust along the Wasatch Front? I just bought one today...couldn't resist how unique it looks.

I am wondering what the growth rate is and how well it does in this area? The spot I am thinking about planting it in is part sun but I am wondering if I should plant it in full sun. Would love to see pictures of yours if you have them. Mine is only about 4 feet tall right now and I assume it will grow to about 15 feet. Is that right?

Thanks

Linda

Comments (10)

• bindersbee
    13 years ago

I know this response is late but I'll post anyway. I have not grown the 'Twisty Baby' variety but I have had a 'Purple Robe' locust- same family. In my experience, they are rapid growers with lovely, scented flowers. They are also drought tolerant- a huge bonus.

Downside- branches are brittle. Make sure you check for included bark on the branches. I did not do this which is why I am now a 'past' owner of a 'Purple Robe' Locust. The first major side branch had an included bark issue on top of the branch I didn't see. A little cavity developed which caused rot and mold inside the tree. Big wind storm came- lost 1/2 the tree. Lost the rest of it in the next storm.

I wish I still had the tree because I loved it but not sure I'll take a chance on one again. If you planted your 'Twisty Baby' where it had a bit of shelter from wind and watch for included bark, you should be able to love the tree for a long time.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

I know this is an old post, but had to chip in. It's a silly looking tree, but I adore it.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I have had mine for 7 years now and I am ready to cut it down. It has grown much taller than I thought it would and every winter several branches break off. It also looses most of it's leaves by the end of July. I don't know why it does that. The wind is blowing off a bunch of the dried up leaves today. It get's plenty of water so I don't know what the problem is.

Good luck with your tree!

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Linda, How tall did it get? Mine's been filling out, but hasn't been putting on any height that I can tell. Of course, I only planted it in May, but I've never been the patient sort.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rusty, It's taller than my 2 story house, maybe 25'? It grew pretty quickly for me. I didn't expect it to grow so fast since it was labeled as a patio tree. It was very small when I bought it...brought it home in my car and it was probably about 3.5' tall then.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Whoa! Seriously? Ours was planted a couple of months ago, and it hasn't grown up much--it's only a dash over six feet. It's been filling out, but not growing up. I live in Zone 6 like you, so I hope that it isn't going to overwhelm the house. Did you give it any special food or anything? I augmented the soil a little bit when we planted it, but have only given it water since we planted it.

We bought this on a whim. I hope we don't wind up regretting it.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rusty, I did not give it any special treatment other than regular watering. I hope your tree fares better than mine did. It has had quite a few branches broken during the winter so it's not really a very full looking tree...more like a tall spindly tree.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here's a pic. It's the tree closest to the house.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's the tree closest to the house. I planted a sunburst honey locust a couple of years ago to shade my hostas and once it gets a little bigger I am going to take the Twisty Baby Locust out.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz