Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get natives???

Posted by mudhazerustsalt 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 3:41

OK. This is likely to become a rant ... Deep breaths ...

I began gardening here pretty much for ecology. I wanted to replace invasive, poisonous Myrtle Spurge, which covered my lawn, with drought-tolerant natives. There were lots of public awareness campaigns at the time, promoting water conservation and other environmental goals. The instructions were consistent: Draw a plan, prepare the site and then buy the plants. But it turns out the most widely recommended plants are not available anywhere! For 5 years, I have been discarding the best-laid plans for whatever is available at Millcreek, Western, Glover's, Smith's and Home Depot. Nearly every book and pamphlet recommends buckwheats: silver, sulphur, or fiesta. Or shadscale. Or sand sage (artemisia filifolia). Or cliffrose. Where do I find this stuff? Even things I can find -- like mountain mahogany or pinon at wonderful suppliers like Growing Empire and Sun Mountain and High Mountain -- only seem to come in little sizes that won't mature until I'm long dead. Cactus and Tropicals has many interesting things, but at best I'll find one or two of my selections there and they cost a lot.

I'm just glad my property looked like crap from the beginning. At least I didn't tear out a bunch of turf only to find out none of the recommended plants in my xeric plan were available.

Am I missing some super supplier of natives in the valley?

This post was edited by mudhazerustsalt on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 10:44

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get natives???

Most native plants are slow growing! Arid climates like Utah dictate that plants grow and mature at a slow rate because of water shortage. There is a place down here that grows all Native plants. It is in Joseph, Ut. I have seeds to a few native flowers if you would be willing to send me postage for them ! maybe 2 stamps.

o
RE: Where to get natives???

Great Basin Natives in Holden in central Utah is a good place for natives. They ship mail order and have a website. Just do a google or other search for Great Basin Natives

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here