Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueplate_gw

Neighbor's plants coming up from under fence

blueplate
13 years ago

Hello!

I'm new to gardening and to yard care, and my hubby and I are learning as we go about trying to clean up our yard. We have a strip along our side fence where lots of plants with deep roots were allowed to grow wild before we owned the house.

We dug down about 1.5 feet and pulled out all the roots we could find and planted wildflowers. The following year, many of the previous plants had come back up (not the wild flowers, but the sturdier things we'd dug up), seemingly from the roots that exist on our neighbor's side of the fence.

So we dug down about 1.5 feet again, pulled out roots again, lay down weed paper, planted some berry plants that we've been wanting, and put tanbark as a cover over it.

We *really* don't want to have to do all the digging again next year--what with the more purposeful landscaping we just did--but I'm sure that the weed paper won't keep everything out.

Some of what comes up are those yellow wild roses (I've heard locals call them pioneer roses) and some sturdy plant I can't identify that grows straight up with fern-ish leaves, gets very tall very fast, and has dry seed heads by late summer at the tips of the branches that get seeds everywhere. (If anyone can ID this plant, I'd appreciate it!)

Is there some sort of barrier that we could hammer down at the fence-line? How deep would it need to be?

Thanks, fellow Utahans!! :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz