Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b4wine

This Procrastinator is Still Planting Bulbs!

beth4
17 years ago

Well, I do get everything done, but not on a "normal" person's schedule. As a result, I'm still planting spring bulbs, and enjoying this warm weather we've been having. Plan to contine planting through this weekend, until the storms come in on Monday.

As I plant, I realize I need some more bulbs (different colors, varieties, etc.). I can't visualze what I really need until I start planting.

Have any of you in northern Utah area seen a good variety of spring bulbs when you've been out and about? My concern is that what's available may be pretty picked over.

Appreciate any heads-up you have to offer. Thanks, in advance.

Comments (7)

• dereks
    17 years ago

No tips on bulbs, just wanted to say that I don't think that it is unusual to be planting bulbs this time of year when its so warm still. Did you get it done?

Today I plan on getting some ornamental grasses cut down and the bird feeder put up before this cold storm moves in.

• beth4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Still working on it. I'm making progress slowly, but don't think all the bulbs will be in the ground when the snow hits Monday afternoon. We'll see... And, I did find a local nursery that still has some bulbs...rather picked over, but they may have what I need to fill in the holes.

I bought 900 bulbs, but clearly should have bought more! And, I'm betting that when they come up next spring, I'm going to see many areas where I should have planted. So, while I'd like to have planted everything this fall, so I'm DONE planting, and can just enjoy and maintain my yard, I fear that is not the case.

• stevation
    17 years ago

I love it when people garden like you! 900 bulbs is awesome! I'm sometimes a garden extremist, but my best record so far is 300 perennials in one week. I planted about 200 bulbs this fall, but I've never come close to your record! Bravo!

- Steve

• psittacine
    17 years ago

Good to meet another procrastinator, Beth.

Most years I don't get my daylily seedlings all planted in until the end of Oct. or the first of Nov. I've been lucky and have only lost a couple of them from frost heave.

One day when I finally get my shrubs all moved around where I want them, I plan on planting bulbs. I'm sure I'll be late with them too. ;-)

Crystal

• beth4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I got about 600 of them planted. Still have the bulbs for the front of the house to do. But, we'll have a period of Chinook winds and I hope to tackle the rest of the bulb planting then.

Now, to clean house. I confess that during the gardening months the house cleaning suffers while my attention is directed outdoors.

• stevation
    17 years ago

Well, it sure looks like the ground is frozen now, doesn't it Beth? Yeah, we'll probably get a thaw in a few weeks, but if we don't thaw before Dec 31st, I wouldn't plant those spring flowering bulbs -- I'd keep them in a cool, dry, dark place till next fall.

Have fun cleaning house! For me, winter is time to read a few books. I never seem to have time to feed my mind when I'm busy in the garden until 9 or 10 PM most nights in the summer!

Steve

• psittacine
    17 years ago

Wow, Beth.. 600 bulbs planted. That's amazing! Hope you can slip in a photo when the spring bloom season comes.

I'm still playing catch-up with the house cleaning thing too. Someone must be having free-for-alls while I'm out pulling weeds and pollinating daylily blossoms while they're in bloom. Heavens knows I'M not in the house long enough during that time period to mess it up this badly!! My bet is it is my 96 y.o. MIL, who lives with us!

Crystal

Sponsored