Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing Garden Products over the Winter?

Posted by beth4 z5 - Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 07 at 19:40

I have an unheated garden shed in my back yard. I am thinking about storing the left-over garden products in the shed over the winter, instead of wintering them in the unheated garage which attached to the house, and is warmer -- insulation, insulated garage door, etc. The question I have is whether the cold temperatures of the unheated shed will affect the performance of these products next summer. These are things like Round-up, Brush & Weed Killer, Grass Killer, Ozmacote granular fertilizer, and a product you apply to tree suckers that reduces significantly the problem of keeping scrub oak out of landscaped beds.

So, what do you guys think? Should I go ahead and move them to the shed? Or should I over-winter them in the garage?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing Garden Products over the Winter?

Sorry this has waited a week for an answer. I was hoping someone else who knew would reply. I have to think that freezing will change some of the liquid products, but I'm not sure. I keep Roundup and some other things in my garage, and if it freezes, its only very lightly. I'd bet the granular stuff is OK, but just to be safe, I'd keep the liquid products in the garage.

o
RE: Storing Garden Products over the Winter?

I'm with Steve, but doubly sorry because when I first saw it I thought I'd wait a day or two and if there was no answer suggest that you try the Soil, Compost and Mulch forum. I'm not sure if that's the best fit, but it's a reasonably good fit.

I think any of the solids or pellets should be ok. I think one of the biggest problems with liquids is that when water freezes it expands, so you could end up with some burst jugs and a mess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here