Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawsitive_gw

&*%# deer revisited

pawsitive_gw
15 years ago

What is with me and cherry trees???? I went out today to give all the newly planted trees some water since we have had very little in the way of rain and snow. My grandson was in the backyard throwing the ball for the dogs and wanted to know what happened to my tree. My 3 year in-the-ground, 8' pie cherry tree was chewed, limbs ripped off, and broken. I had it wrapped twice in deer fencing and it didn't stop them. They either ran into it and broke it or pulled so hard on the branches it broke. So now I have a 2' STUMP. I can't even see straight I am sooooo mad. I'm hoping that it will send out shoots in the spring and I can train one branch to become the main leader and save the tree. I have it triple wrapped now and can only hope one of them impales itself on the stump. I have threatened to put up 10' high pvc and an electric fence to keep them out. I may do that sooner rather than later. Grrrrrr, vent over!

Comments (5)

• cyclewest
    15 years ago

I noticed at least two roadkill on the side of the road on the way to the freeway this morning on 92 to I-15. It had me wondering about their feeding. Last year at the beginning of spring they ate off most of the branches of a one year old cherry I had planted, but didn't touch the one next to it. I noticed the growth this year wasn't as vigorous as I would expect, but I should also keep an eye out for the deer.

Sorry about your misfortune, but thanks for the reminder.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

I have mentioned on one of these forum, I think, that bow hunters will swear upon a case of Coors that deer are spooked by the smell of cosmetics.

In my earlier post, wherever that was, I suggested that someone get some cheap perfume from WalMart and spray it around and see if there is any deterrent effect and report back.

• stevation
    15 years ago

Pawsitive, what a maddening development! I would feel just as angry or more! I'm surprised my three- or four-year old cherry trees have never been eaten like that. I do get deer occasionally in my backyard, and I'll have to look out for this kind of damage.

The electric fence idea actually sounds pretty good. I'd do it if I were you, but it just might be too late for that much effort now.

• songbirdmommy
    15 years ago

I find that deer are spooked by collecting hair from a hairbrush and putting it in a USED stocking and hanging it in bushes and trees where you can't see it, but the wind will pick up the human scent and they will not come near your yard.
    I live on the base of a hillside, I see deer all the time, including a magnificent one that looks like Bambi's Dad.
    I have never once had a deer enter my yard..... racoons are a different story.

I am sorry your Cherry tree was deemed worthy for dinner.
    What a terrible loss.

• pawsitive_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm certain that my yard was in the path of the main migration route from the hills to the valley. I have deer in my yard ALL the time. It's a rare night that they aren't walking through. I've even had them bed down beneath the overhang of the big shed out back in the garden. I have 3 dogs and that doesn't stop them. One night I saw the dogs booking it for the house and I thought the deer were going to follow the dogs up on the porch! What is a dog but a coyote with a collar and they know how to chase coyotes. I plant very little that I know they like. No tulips for one, but they get under my deck and eat the violets and the crocus. I have to cover the strawberries with wire or they pull them out by the roots. They will eat all the carrots and beets and munch the cilantro and parsley past the crowns. I've seen them take bites out of green tomatoes all the way down the row. They are pests!! I laugh at all the Vegas "move-ins" who "just love the deer" until they eat about $5000 worth of landscaping and then "somebody has to do something about the deer". I drove I-15 Cedar to St. George last Friday and lost count of how many dead deer I saw on the side of the road, at one point it looked like about 6 had tried to cross and didn't make it. Sad. But leave my garden the heck alone!!

Sponsored