Return to the Utah Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you start your seeds indoors?

Posted by sangsara 7A? (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 07 at 19:53

I am relatively new to SLC and I can't seem to figure out when the best time is to start vegetable seeds indoors. I live in the city and have a backyard vegetable garden. When do you start your veggies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you start your seeds indoors?

I have forgotten the dates as I have been away from SLC for a couple of decades now but I always started a very few, like six frost resistant tomatoes (Frost resistant tomatoes did not resist much frost back then but they did survive near frost conditions for weeks better than others.) - but anyway - I would start like six seed very early and set them out very early and if they failed it was not a big loss and if they survived, as they did about one year out of three, then it was fun.

I should add that I was, and am, a tinkerer, and enjoyed trial and error. Many would not.

o

Here is a good site to look at:

http://www.andersonseedandgarden.com/

They will also send you a handout with all the dates if you ask. Some other seed stores might have the same.

I am starting my perennials right now and will start some cold weather stuff shortly (broccoli, Spinach, and Lettuce).

Sometime mid to end of Jan. I will do Delphs, Snaps and Statice. Mid to end of Feb. Tomatoes, Peppers, Grasses, Millets, Herbs, Campanula, Gomphrena. Mid to end Mar. Cuccumber, Squash, Melons, Pumpkins. Mid April Celosia.

Direct seed: March spinach, lettuce, radish, onions, carrots, peas, larkspur, bells of ireland and nigella. April celery, more lettuce, carrots and glads. May beans, zinnas, sunflowers, amaranthus, safflower, calendula, cosmos, second round of cold weather stuff (see March above).

I hope that helps. You may start a little sooner in SLC than I do here in Cache Valley.

Good luck growing!!

Bryan

o

Hope this isn't too late. I plan the following:

Tomatoes Start 1/25 Plant 3/31min W-O-W
Peppers/Eggplant Start 3/5 Plant 5/15
Cabbage/Broccoli Start 2/15 Plant 4/15
for a fall crop Start 6/15 Planted 8/1

Last year I got some of them in early.

o

• Posted by zachslc 6 Salt Lake City (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 11:16

I start tomatoes early march
peppers mid February
eggplants early February
brassicas, celery, other cool-season crops late january or early february.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Utah Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here