Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejonstewart

Blueberries

thejonstewart
16 years ago

What types of blueberries have people had luck with in northern VA (Zone 7)? The southern high bush variety would seem best for this area, but I've found some posts from a few years ago where talked about people growing northern high bush in VA. I just worry that we don't get cold enough for the northern variety. Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• rian
    16 years ago

Oops, I answered this post in the mid-atlantic forum before I saw you here!

• doinfin
    16 years ago

We are new to the area and my husband just bought the kids and I five blueberry bushes (2 Spartan, 2 Blueray, 1 Bluecrop)... They have been inside a store and have already sprouted their leaves. Are they okay to plant now or should I wait until after the last frost? We have a heavily wooded lot and the only area that has no shade and is suitable for planting is the eastern side of the house. This is also where our septic system resides. I have noticed a lot of discussion about the ph. Will my extension agent test this for me? If not, how do I do this? I wouldn't be concerned but the area appears to have been excavated and I question the quality of soil. One last question, we also have 2 raspberries and a black berry bushes. Would they be okay in the same general area? Thanks!

• tenbabytoes
    16 years ago

Just wondering if you found any info on growing blueberries- I would love to grow them as well. . I live in Virginia Beach. Thanks Teresa

• sequi
    16 years ago

I am a novice. This is my first year growing Blueberries in Northern Virginia. I had the same questions above, got them answered, and wanted to share my answers.

WHERE TO FIND ANSWERS (In general):
    1) There is a resident expert on the berries in the Fruit and Orchards forum here who goes by the handle "Jellyman." He is a font of knowledge and happens to live in Northern Virginia. In other words, his advice works for Virginians.

2) Edible Landscaping is based in Central Virginia. Things they sell tend to do well in Virginia.

3) I found lots of information online provided by Virginia Tech. Most is directed at commercial farmers, but they recommend specific cultivars and it all can be applied to home gardeners. Example: http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/commhort/2005-01/jan2005.html#L7 They also have more recent advice, google it.

4) I live practically next door to a garden center. They are very helpful, but you have to find the right person. The garden centers at the big hardware chains are not as informative.

SOUTHERN OR NORTHERN?

Virginia can grow either. My local garden center sells mostly Northern varieties, although they also sell Sunshine Blue. Virginia Tech recommends Northern types, but is still experimenting with Southern types which they think can do well. Edible Landscapes grows both types outside successfully. I am trying half and half.

HOW TO TEST PH?
    You can get cheap ph test kits at the big hardware stores or any garden center. They also sell these electronic testers that you can just stick in the ground. Make sure the ground is wet before you use the electronic testers. PH is extremely important for blueberries. Don't forget to test your water. Treated water tends to be more alkaline and can raise ph over time.

Like much of Virginia, I discovered I had clay soil. I was surprised to find my clay soil is pretty acidic. It was more important for me to amend the soil with organic material so it drained well than it was to adjust the acidity. It can sometimes be hard to adjust acidity.

RASPBERRIES AND BLACKBERRIES?

I don't know about blackberries. I do know that raspberries want acidic soil in the range of 5.8 to 6.5 Blueberries want ph between 4.0 to 5.2, with 4.6 to 4.8 being ideal. I did my raspberries on a raised bed to better control the soil. Also, raspberries spread through the roots, so it was important to control the roots. I used a combination of a raised bed and a root barrier for mine.